Alternative to the 5 day work week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Circumnavigate

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I was just wondering how common it is for Optometrists to not work a 5 day work week? For example a 4 day work week or 7 on 7 off which would be more desirable to me. I did some searching on indeed.com and couldn't find any 7 on 7 off, and only 1 posting for a 4 day work week in the slums of Florida. So I take it the 5 day work week is the norm?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do whatever you want with whatever opportunities you can find. Can't find any? Either build you own office (good luck hiring other staff), string together small part time jobs, or just work per diem fill-in.

You can do whatever you want with whatever opportunities you can find. Can't find any? Either build you own office (good luck hiring other staff), string together small part time jobs, or just work per diem fill-in.

Why do you say "good luck hiring other staff" ? Is there something wrong / difficult with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you open your own practice, I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find staff who'd want to work 7-on, 7-off, or fill a 7-on, 7-off work schedule, which would mirror your time in the office.

If you open your own practice, I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to find staff who'd want to work 7-on, 7-off, or fill a 7-on, 7-off work schedule, which would mirror your time in the office.

Oh you meant speaking about the 7-on-7-off schedule. Makes sense.

There is nothing stopping you from doing 7 on 7 off, but you probably have to find another OD who is willing to work your 7 off days, and take your 7 on days off. And then you'd have to find an employer/employment situation where you could have that arrangement. (are some places really open 7/days week with that kind of volume?)

Not impossible, just not likely.

Reactions: 1 user