Working...but not running your own business? - Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D

deleted989644

Hello!

I was lucky enough to get selected by an optometry school (a decent one to boot) and will be entering that realm in a few weeks. I'm keeping my eyes open for the myriad of opportunities available to those in the optometric field.

I do have a question though. For now, I'm not very fond of running my own business, though I seek to do optometry. What options are there for those who want to work in the field, but don't want to own their own practice? On top of that, is it possible to make a pretty good living ($$$-wise) not running your own business in optometry?

I ask because running one's own business, like with dentistry, seems to be the bread and butter of the optometry field. While my opinions and skills may change, I feel that, at least for now, I don't really have the business acumen and desire to do such a path.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!

I was lucky enough to get selected by an optometry school (a decent one to boot) and will be entering that realm in a few weeks. I'm keeping my eyes open for the myriad of opportunities available to those in the optometric field.

I do have a question though. For now, I'm not very fond of running my own business, though I seek to do optometry. What options are there for those who want to work in the field, but don't want to own their own practice? On top of that, is it possible to make a pretty good living ($$$-wise) not running your own business in optometry?

I ask because running one's own business, like with dentistry, seems to be the bread and butter of the optometry field. While my opinions and skills may change, I feel that, at least for now, I don't really have the business acumen and desire to do such a path.

Thanks!

There are plenty of well paying jobs in optometry that don't require you to be an owner. I have friends who make great money working in co-management with ophthalmology. Some are associates working in private practice. I felt the same as you in school, and now I own two practices. I hope to never work for anyone but myself again.

Few people feel ready to run a business before school (or right after for that matter) but my suggestion is to keep an open mind and take comfort in the fact that you're already doing exactly what everyone considering optometry should do: look for opportunities early. Don't wait until after school to look for a job. I found mine during my first year in school, and it turned into an ownership opportunity. You never know what life will bring your way.

Reactions: 2 users
There are plenty of well paying jobs in optometry that don't require you to be an owner. I have friends who make great money working in co-management with ophthalmology. Some are associates working in private practice. I felt the same as you in school, and now I own two practices. I hope to never work for anyone but myself again.

Few people feel ready to run a business before school (or right after for that matter) but my suggestion is to keep an open mind and take comfort in the fact that you're already doing exactly what everyone considering optometry should do: look for opportunities early. Don't wait until after school to look for a job. I found mine during my first year in school, and it turned into an ownership opportunity. You never know what life will bring your way.

I'm definitely keeping an open mind when it comes to the career. There are seemingly many options for folks in optometry - clinical, retail, corporate, owning your own practice, working with partners and more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found mine during my first year in school, and it turned into an ownership opportunity. You never know what life will bring your way.
How were you able to find one so early, any advice?

How were you able to find one so early, any advice?

One of my professors mentioned someone he had met at a meeting in my state and suggested I get to know him. I called, shadowed, and shadowed again a year later and it turned into a job offer. I realize this isn't always the case, he obviously happened to need someone by the time I graduated, but there are many similar situations. People hire who they know.

Reactions: 1 users