Alternatives to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lnvictus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I enjoy learning about Biology, I have regrets that I didn't perform to the best of my abilities in my first three semesters and I'm sitting on a less than desirable sGPA. I'm doing well in my current classes but I'm losing confidence that I'll get my sGPA up to the 3.5-3.6 that tends to be the magic number for an MD acceptance at my school, especially since I'm in a top ten institution containing some of the brightest minds around the world. I know that the battle should be me against myself, but I can't help but remain daunted by the UG competition + the rampant pre-professionalism here makes me feel like I've achieved very little as a sophomore, especially when comparing my resume to my peers.

While I'm continuing to fix my bad habits + giving my academic best, and my sGPA will probably demonstrate improvement after this semester, I feel like it's smart to also consider medical school alternatives if the GPA issue doesn't work out. I have no problem with additional years of schooling if it's on the graduate level (except law and lab research - not part of my long term goals) so that should broaden my options a little bit. I'm not quitting the pre-med curriculum and I'll be staying with the Biology major since a) I like it and b) I can't switch majors without extra schooling, so maybe I can hear some suggestions from SDN? (Doesn't have to be related to bio)

Members don't see this ad.

My alternative plan was always to become a bartender. ;)

In all seriousness, though, maybe you can inform these kinds of decisions by considering which extracurriculars you've enjoyed most? For example, I work as an EMT and I've always thought that an administrative position in EMS would be an interesting line of work.

My alternative plan was always to become a bartender. ;)

In all seriousness, though, maybe you can inform these kinds of decisions by considering which extracurriculars you've enjoyed most? For example, I work as an EMT and I've always thought that an administrative position in EMS would be an interesting line of work.

Problem is that all my ECs are either athletic activities that I can't really see being more than hobbies, and research, which isn't my preferred career path.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I enjoy learning about Biology, I have regrets that I didn't perform to the best of my abilities in my first three semesters and I'm sitting on a less than desirable sGPA. I'm doing well in my current classes but I'm losing confidence that I'll get my sGPA up to the 3.5-3.6 that tends to be the magic number for an MD acceptance at my school, especially since I'm in a top ten institution containing some of the brightest minds around the world. I know that the battle should be me against myself, but I can't help but remain daunted by the UG competition + the rampant pre-professionalism here makes me feel like I've achieved very little as a sophomore, especially when comparing my resume to my peers.

While I'm continuing to fix my bad habits + giving my academic best, and my sGPA will probably demonstrate improvement after this semester, I feel like it's smart to also consider medical school alternatives if the GPA issue doesn't work out. I have no problem with additional years of schooling if it's on the graduate level (except law and lab research - not part of my long term goals) so that should broaden my options a little bit. I'm not quitting the pre-med curriculum and I'll be staying with the Biology major since a) I like it and b) I can't switch majors without extra schooling, so maybe I can hear some suggestions from SDN? (Doesn't have to be related to bio)

Get an MS in computer science and work at the IT industry for few years. The common misconception is you need a BS for this to happen, but that's not true as there are numerous excellent books to prep you to get an MS regardless of your UG degree.

You're a sophomore. Relax. You've got plenty of time to get that gpa straightened out.

If you really do want alternatives to med school, PA or dentistry are both good options.

Don't forget DO schools too.

Reactions: 1 user
Top 10?

TFA - then apply in 2 yrs with a strong app. Same with peace corps.

Consulting at McKinsey, Bain, etc

ibanking if you're the type

Foreign Service Test/State Dept jobs in DC

CIA Clandestine Service

Be all you can be in the Army.

I guess I don't fully understand the question. If you're asking for careers other than medicine that you should pursue for the rest of your life, find pretty much anything else and give up being a pre-med. It's not worth going in to medicine if you could be just as happy doing something else, in my opinion.

If you're asking what you can do to continue to work on your med school application, get a master's, do a post-bac, do some research for a while, etc.

I guess I don't fully understand the question. If you're asking for careers other than medicine that you should pursue for the rest of your life, find pretty much anything else and give up being a pre-med. It's not worth going in to medicine if you could be just as happy doing something else, in my opinion.

If you're asking what you can do to continue to work on your med school application, get a master's, do a post-bac, do some research for a while, etc.

It's more that my early academic struggles have opened my eyes that medicine may not be initially feasible if my grades for the next few years aren't as good as I hope and that I need to realize that there are alternatives that I can consider before realizing what career is best for me. I guess my grades have put me in a crossroads situation which can be both good and bad, in a way.

Top 10?

TFA - then apply in 2 yrs with a strong app. Same with peace corps.

I keep hearing negative things about TFA regarding its overall structure, any truth? And I definitely can't last as an I-banker lol

This is like when people threaten to commit suicide but call their friend before they do it

Point being, you're looking for someone to tell you that you have time and that you'll get the grades you need and that you'll get into your choice of med school.

Either man up and keep trying as hard as you can and if you fail try again. Or do a women's studies major

It's more that my early academic struggles have opened my eyes that medicine may not be initially feasible if my grades for the next few years aren't as good as I hope and that I need to realize that there are alternatives that I can consider before realizing what career is best for me. I guess my grades have put me in a crossroads situation which can be both good and bad, in a way.
healthcare -- nursing, NP, PA, CRNA, dentist, pharmacist

other -- whatever you want.

You're at a top 10 institution. You can literally do anything you want.

Not true. I was at a top 10, didn't work as hard as I should have, and it took a very long time to get to medical school. I did have a successful non-med career before I decided to suck it up, do post bac work, and go back to school. The bottom line is this. Work hard, get better grades, and then anything will be open to you. Don't fool yourself thinking that just the pedigree of your school, which reflects what you did in high school, will trump someone who is working their butt off in college and doing a hell of a lot better. This is true for the majority of good 4-yr institutions out there. Good luck.

That said, be sure you want to do medicine. It's a good career if you want it but do something else if you don't. Or at least take time to decide. Good grades are going to be key in most other fields though too regardless of what you choose. You have time to fix it and show you can do the work. A GPA is not absolute but you need to show a trend of success and that you turned it around. Figure out what you can do, get tutors, ask for help from academic services. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You'll find a lot of med students have to use these resources too.

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV.

Problem is that all my ECs are either athletic activities that I can't really see being more than hobbies, and research, which isn't my preferred career path.

That should be fine, just get some clinical experience on top of it. Theres always special masters programs if you want to increase your GPA and really want to go to med school.

If I had not been accepted I was planning on grad school/ finishing my paramedic certification and volunteering. That seemed like a pretty good combination as an alternative.

Software development/Computer science is a great alternative:
- 100k+ (I know people bringing in ~250k doing development/architecture in some companies)
- flexibility (You can pretty much take a day off any day, take a break whenever, etc)
- working from home/telecommuting is possible (depends on job)
- no call
- less debt
- less schooling
- more independence
- no bureaucracy and BS that comes with medicine... like dealing with patients who can't pay, insurance companies, having to bill and justify the bills in order to get paid. regulations up the wazoo. talk of decreasing reimbursements.
- no malpractice or other liability issues
- no dealing with medical 'ick'. Seriously, don't tell me you just looooove that.
- there is lots of variety within the field (true for medicine too).... but, in medicine once you pick a field/specialty you don't really get to do much else. here, it is much easier to work on varied projects. Like big data analytics... do that for a few years. Get an interest in security? you can likely make a switch.

Go to Masters or Post bacc, boost your grades, and then apply.

1) Get some decent EC's on your plate (doesn't even require that much time)

2) Study and do well on the MCAT

3) Apply to medical schools

4) Jive about golf or hockey or tennis or top 10 institution problems with your interviewer at said medical schools

5) profit

Get some statistics and/or computer science classes under your belt if you want to keep your options open as far as the working world goes.