Alternatives to W2s for financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Current-big-pharma-shill

IM --> PCCM bound M3
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was curious if anyone has encountered the problem of 2020 self being a lazy adult who did not keep important tax documents such as W2s? I was able to hop on the IRS website no problem and get my W2 transcript, but does anyone know if schools will accept this in lieu of the actual W2? The W2 transcript contains all information (the last 4 of employer EINs, a partial of the names, all numbers present).

MD/PhD doesn't require this, but I have some MD only that do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they are required by law to keep like the last 5 years of them.
????? I never heard that, although it might be true. You as the taxpayer are the one who is required to keep all records for 3 years from the date you filed your original return, or 2 years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. It's moot, though, because you can always order the transcript from the IRS.

I just don't think parties reporting income, like former employers, have any requirement to go to the trouble or expense to retrieve documents that were provided to you in the past. The burden is always on you to keep it, since you are now the one who needs it.