Alternatives to Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I wasn't going to comment, but since it's already in the toilet of md v do. . .
Until last spring, I had truly bought into the DO thing. I LOVE the philosophy and don't care too much about the letters behind my name so long as the privileges are there.
However, in every recruiting encounter I had with the nearby DO schools, the students that they chose to represent their schools were the "couldn't make it into MD school" types. Every single one.
Someone in here hinted at this, and I thought it worthy to add to the (dead horse of a) discussion.
I love osteopathy, the several osteopathic doctors that I have encountered are every bit as knowledgeable and talented (if not more) than their allopathic counterparts and I have every confidence that the osteopathic schools offer an education very much comparable to everyone else.
So, WHY on earth do they keep recruiting MD-couldn't-hack-its??? Why on earth do they settle for lower standards? I didn't apply only to MD schools because I thought DO schools inferior, but because I wanted to surround myself with people who were where they were because that's where they want to be, not because it was their plan b when they didn't work hard enough or fight courageously enough for plan a.
Just a different perspective I hadn't seen yet, but suspect is more and more common. And before the backlash comes, I know there are a good many who are learning osteopathic med because that's what they believe in, but there are so many more yet who fit into the previously discussed category. . . and these schools choose these people to represent them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't mean to start controversy with the topic and perhaps I just didn't state myself clear enough. I went into college with the intention of becoming a Medical Doctor so anything short of that will make me feel as if I didn't accomplish what I set out for. I don't think of DO's as less then MD's, its just that I set my sights for attending an allopathic medical school.

Also, enough of the smart remarks! This is supposed to be a site where we help one another out, not criticize each other for every opinion which differs from our own.
 
"I didn't mean to start controversy with the topic and perhaps I just didn't state myself clear enough. I went into college with the intention of becoming a Medical Doctor so anything short of that will make me feel as if I didn't accomplish what I set out for. I don't think of DO's as less then MD's, its just that I set my sights for attending an allopathic medical school.

Also, enough of the smart remarks! This is supposed to be a site where we help one another out, not criticize each other for every opinion which differs from our own. "

I didn't mean to attack you. Good luck!
 
What are the alternatives if you are wait-listed/rejected to all the medical school you apply to? I have heard some people have taken up pharmacy but what if your passion is to become a medical doctor. I wanted to hear some alternatives such as programs oversees or maybe even in the states!



This happened to me back in 2007. I ended up going to the American University of the Caribbean in St. Maarten in 2008.

I'm 10 weeks away from my MD degree, and I've now signed a contract to start my Family Medicine residency in June.
 
Optometry.

Easy barrier of entrance. Low stress. Still get to be called "Dr". And their rights are increasing (can now do surgery in 2 states and it's going to go way up).

brb working 9-5 if not doing surgery
brb "what looks better? 1 or 2?"
brb "what looks better? 2 or 1?"
brb repeat over and over again
brb $$$$

but if all else fails, open up a Taco Truck

Scion-xB-Taco-Truck.jpg


Dude, my cousin's other side of the family's cousin (would this be 2nd cousin? i dunno...) started Taco trucks right out of high school and made 4 in 3 years in NYC. He also has em around L.A. and Nevada and uses twitter to have people tweet where they want them to be. He has amassed about 6 million dollars in 5.5 years. That is something a doc can only dream of even as a anesthesiology. I say, if you want money, and if you HAVE the skills....doing business is the way to go not medical school.

So not bashing you but you are actually giving him a viable alternative haha
 
Fighter pilot

I believe this is much...much...much..MUCH MUCH MUCH harder to become than a doctor. You have to be sort of born with it. Eye sight, physique etc. On top of that, train your ass off, be of certain age (there is a hard limit to age) etc etc etc. If i was a chick i'd think fighter pilots are sexier anyways hahaha
 
I really hope you were joking about the comment you left. You really think I would be applying to medical school and wouldn't know that a DO was a doctor? What I was implying was that I want my name to have MD tagged to it and not DO.
I think there are many applicants to medical school who have no idea what a DO is or that DO schools even exist.
 
After failing the mcat for the third time I’m finally starting to come to terms with not going to med school. I don’t want to struggle with step 1 and I don’t want to be at that point where I will be scared of not passing that test
 
First of all, a "doctor" is anyone with a doctorate degree. PharmDs are doctors. PhDs are doctors.

Ever considered biomedical research and/or academia?