Altius COVID-19 Shortened practice exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1017883

Altius is offering free COVID-19 practice exams that will mimic the real test in length. Has anyone used these or other shortened exams that mimic the real exam?

Members don't see this ad.

I used their regular exams before. They're decent. I'd probably recommend getting exams form a different resource (NS, TBR, EK, etc.) if you're dropping cash. But free is free, so why not? There have been some threads about how they are relentless with sales, so you are probably going to get hounded after.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that most students will find timing with the new exam just like their practice tests since I don't believe the AAMC would create an exam that does not have official practice material. I'm sure the timing will feel the same between the official AAMC FL exams and your actual exam, although it would probably still be worth it to use a couple of the Altius practice exams just to be sure.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I used their regular exams before. They're decent. I'd probably recommend getting exams form a different resource (NS, TBR, EK, etc.) if you're dropping cash. But free is free, so why not? There have been some threads about how they are relentless with sales, so you are probably going to get hounded after.

Altius exams seem to be very highly regarded around SDN as being most like the actual MCAT. Did you find this to be untrue? I have Altius slated as my top 3rd party exam source. Was gonna mix it up between them, NextStep (Blueprint now), and of course all AAMC exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a bit late but wanted to update on this situation for any other prospective students that are considering taking the shortened COVID-19 tests offered by Altius through the end of September.

The COVID-19 tests from Altius are inflated by 3-points. If you were to zero one of their shortened exams, the lowest score would not be a 472, but rather a 475.

-Former Altius Tutor/Supervisor

This is a bit late but wanted to update on this situation for any other prospective students that are considering taking the shortened COVID-19 tests offered by Altius through the end of September.

The COVID-19 tests from Altius are inflated by 3-points. If you were to zero one of their shortened exams, the lowest score would not be a 472, but rather a 475.

-Former Altius Tutor/Supervisor
Given that Altius is generally deflated this would probably make them on par with the real deal.
Overall Altius BB and CP is solid. Cars is horrible trash fire. PS is bad but not terrible.

From my experience as a supervisor of working with other Altius tutors and students under their ward, the Altius standard FLE/CP section seems to be overinflated by 1-3 points, the CAR section is fairly predictive within 1 point in either direction, the BB is reflective within 1-2 points in either direction, and the PsS is deflated by 1-2 points.

Unfortunately, the shortened COVID format tests from Altius are not accurate, instead are hyperinflated by 3-points (base score is a 475, instead of 472). Image attached. This is an issue that was raised by students and tutors alike to the Altius administration shortly after they were being offered back in late June.

Attachments

• COVID_test_lie2.JPG
    COVID_test_lie2.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
From my experience as a supervisor of working with other Altius tutors and students under their ward, the Altius standard FLE/CP section seems to be overinflated by 1-3 points, the CAR section is fairly predictive within 1 point in either direction, the BB is reflective within 1-2 points in either direction, and the PsS is deflated by 1-2 points.

Unfortunately, the shortened COVID format tests from Altius are not accurate, instead are hyperinflated by 3-points (base score is a 475, instead of 472). Image attached. This is an issue that was raised by students and tutors alike to the Altius administration shortly after they were being offered back in late June.
This seems very strange. I understand scaling COVID tests differently since Altius is historically deflated, but just boosting all scores by 3 points instead of reworking the actual curve system seems amateurish. N=1 but the Altius exams, even shortened were right on the money for my CP and BB scores, when compared to the 4 AAMC full lengths. PS and CARS were however all over the place and were neither representative of the real deal, nor predictive in my scoring. If anyone wants to see my scores from #2-10 as well as my AAMC I'd be happy to share.