Am I a Candidate for a Post-Bac?

Started by MBHockey
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MBHockey

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Long story short, I'm an engineer that has been working for almost a year (graduated May '07) and i'm thinking about making a run at medical school.

The classes I'm missing are a 2nd semester in biology and both semesters of organic chemistry. I might also look into taking biochemistry. With these courses to take, am i candidate for a post-bac program? Or are those more focused on people that need all the pre-reqs?

Also i hear the term SMP thrown around a lot here -- is that different than a post-bac?

Thank you

Edit: Didn't see the last sticky -- sorry!
 
i don't think you are a candidate for a formal program, they require that all or almost all of your prereqs not met.

an informal post-bacc at your local state university to fulfill your prereqs is enough.

an SMP is a masters level program where students take the same classes as med students. they are high risk last ditch efforts for low gpa premeds at a shot at US med school.

SMP is technically a post-bacc (you do it AFTER you receive a bachelor's). however, people on this board generally refer postbaccs as UNDERGRADUATE programs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you for the links.

Is it true that some post-bac programs will deny you if you have some of the pre-reqs already?
 
Thank you for the links.

Is it true that some post-bac programs will deny you if you have some of the pre-reqs already?
Yes, many will in fact, depending on the type of program they are.
 
Indeed, you were all correct. I inquired at a few schools about a Post-Bac and mentioned the classes I had completed, and they all said i wasn't a candidate for a structured post-bac program but that I could enroll as a non-degree student and take up to around 24 credits.

Thank you for your help.