Am I a good candidate???????

Started by Mike0817
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mike0817

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-Overall GPA as of right now is 3.4
(not including 4 planned classes which will be taking in the Fall 2008 and Spring 2009).
-Pre-rep classes for USN are completed with GPA of 3.7.
- I DON'T have my BS Degree yet.

Extracurricular Activities:
- Volunteer at church from Dec 2001 - Dec 2005 as a bible instructor.
- Volunteer in Inpatient Pharmacy at VA Medical Center from June 2008 - July 2008. (time frame period is short-long story)

Prior Work Experiences:
- U.S. Navy (July 2000 - Jan 2005)
Primary Duty: Work Center (Department) Supervisor
Collateral Duties: Physical Training Assistant, Small Boat Handling Instructor, Quality Assurance Coordinator, 3-M Maintenance Supervisor, Supply Manager, Security Force Team Leader, Fire Fighting Team Leader.
- U.S. Navy (Jan 2005 - Jan 2007)
Primary Duty: Nuclear Submarine Weapon Systems Certified Technician
Collateral Duties: Rigging Gear Custodian, Human Resources Time Keeper, Crane/Rigging Operator.

Certifications & Training:
​
- Supervisor - Leadership
- 3-M Maintenance Manager
- Small Boat Handling Instructor
- Crane/Rigging Operator
- Quality Assurance
- Human Resources Time Keeping
- Material/Supply Management

Awards:
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (2)
- Department of the Navy Letter of Appreciation (3)
- Good Conduct Medal (2)
- Enlisted Surface Warfare Specialist
- Global War on Terrorism Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- and other various medals ........... too much to list

I also squeezed in classes here and there while I was in the service. I don't know if that matters or not. In addition, during my time at the Nuclear Submarine Repair Facility, I volunteer and raised roughly $10K for my workplace Christmas party.

Recent Award and Club:
- Phi Theta Kappa (Feb 2008 - Present)
- Dean's List for Fall 2007 (still waiting for Spring 2008 to come in the mail)

What do you guys think? Am I a good candidate for USN or other pharmacy schools? Any ideas and/or opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Mike
 
Didn't you already post this in the USN thread?

Anyways, that's a long list. I don't think anyone would be able to tell you anything until you take the PCAT.

(I apologize if I sound rude)
 
Didn't you already post this in the USN thread?

Anyways, that's a long list. I don't think anyone would be able to tell you anything until you take the PCAT.

(I apologize if I sound rude)


I'm thinking about applying to Pharm schools in Cali in which they don't required PCAT beside from USN. What do you think?
Sorry, I think I double posted this thread. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm thinking about applying to Pharm schools in Cali in which they don't required PCAT beside from USN. What do you think?
Sorry, I think I double posted this thread. 🙂

Without PCATs, you seem like a decent candidate for the CA schools. The lack of a bachelors may hurt you, seeing how CA schools are some of the most competitive. You should also try to get a bit more pharmacy experience under your belt.


Good luck.
 
I know Cali schools are very competitive. I'm going to give it a shoot though. Thank you for the honest comment. Have a great day! 🙂
 
Last edited: