Am I able to open my own practice in US in the future?

Started by D M D
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D M D

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a dental student in US with F1 visa. My goal is to open my own practice in US. Can I get a US greencard with DMD?? And open my practice with greencard??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Option 1: when you are a D4 and ready to graduate, upload your pic with a white coat on Tinder/Bumble/Okcupid/etc/etc and you will find true love with no bad intention, make sure he/she is a US citizen, and get married. and you will get a green card within 6-9 months. With a green card, you are basically a US citizen without the right to vote, hence you can open a clinic, buy houses, and do whatever you want.

P.S: before anyone jumps on me for recommending sham marriage, I am only suggesting finding true love.

Option 2: I believe you get a 1 year OPT and will get a 2-year extension on OPT for STEM major (dentistry is included I guess) unless the president terminates it. You will work during this OPT and apply for H1B visa or EB3 (talented worker). This track requires lawyer and I believe a company has to agree to sponsor you (hello big DSO working in middle of nowhere with a tied 3 year contract). This track also requires you maintain continuous employment during your OPT and/or H1B/EB3. Reading the law and the risk/reward of this option 2 makes option 1 looks way better.

dentistry is oversaturated and the sky is falling but so far no dentists is on food stamps and bread line yet so finding true love being a almost dentist (D4) is very easy in my opinion. Heck, you probably will end up dating and marrying your classmate but I don't recommend this route.
 
Last edited: