Am I behind?

Started by Silvari
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Silvari

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a junior transferring to a state university in the summer. I know I'm susposed to take the MCAT sometime this year, but so far the only pre-reqs I've completed are Bio 1 w/lab, and Gen Chem 1 w/lab. I dont have any volunteer service or any recommendation letters yet...
Comparatively, how far behind am I? 😕
 
Well, the typical pre med has his/her pre reqs done by fall of junior year, and has decent clinical experiences by now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a junior transferring to a state university in the summer. I know I'm susposed to take the MCAT sometime this year, but so far the only pre-reqs I've completed are Bio 1 w/lab, and Gen Chem 1 w/lab. I dont have any volunteer service or any recommendation letters yet...
Comparatively, how far behind am I? 😕
Are you a junior by credit hours or a junior by graduation date?

You're at least 2 years behind I'd say
 
it depends on when you plan to apply. if you are a junior already, it doesn't sound like you'll have time to complete bio 2/chem 2 and at least start organic chem and physics, which you should do before taking the MCAT to give yourself the best chance at a good score. don't worry as much about completing all the requirements on a standard timeline- figure out what is going to work for you, make yourself a schedule, and stick to it. if you have to wait until winter/spring of your senior year to take the MCAT after orgo and physics, do it to make sure you give yourself the best chance at a high score. then you can apply the summer after you graduate, and you'll give yourself time to get your recommendations together from professors from wherever you graduate from. you'll also give yourself more time to volunteer somewhere that interests you. just my two cents!