Am I completely screwed? - Academic IA

Started by alienu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alienu

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

In my sophmore year, I took a music class in which there was an open use policy for AI. However, younger me took that and ran with it, I used the AI to write my paper but did not do my due diligence and check if everything was accurate. I did land myself with a falsifying academic materials charge getting a grade reduction from A -> B+. Since then I’ve taken a course from the academic integrity center. I am planning to apply in the cycle of 2026 and the incident occurred in fall 2023’.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
 
You have to report it. How did you create "false academic materials"? I'm not sure what that means.
For clarification: The information i used from AI was inaccurate/false. I am planning to report it to AMCAS, I’m just looking for advice on anything when it comes to this kinda thing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since AI was allowed as open-use, this seems to be more of a “being lazy” issue than a “cheating” issue. I imagine if explained properly and you appropriately take responsibility, this isn’t something that will kill you.
 
Wait what. So you got an IA for writing a paper that was factually incorrect?

Your physics department must hand out IA's like candy - I used to submit false academic documents there all the time when I couldn't figure out how to find a vector.

This will be easily explained away.