Am I competitive enough where I can risk screwing up my GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutchtho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I am applying currently and planning on submitting my app in the next couple days.

My first choice is UT Austin, followed by A&M and Houston.

Stats:
5 months working retail
99 PCAT
3.77 GPA
NOT many extracurrics/volunteering
Should be good on letters of rec

I think I should be able to do well on my interviews but I am very nervous for them (assuming I get some). I have a good GPA right now but I also want to finish out my major. To do so I would have to take 21 hours and 2 labs of fairly difficult upper division classes, and I could definitely risk my GPA falling some amount. I know GPA doesn't matter once you're in but I am downright scared about what would happen if I don't get in to UT or UH, and have to stay another year and apply again with a lower GPA.

I have 2 options: either man up, take a crazy schedule or drop one of my major but non prereqs to have an easier semester and not risk messing up my GPA if I need to keep it high to apply again.

Any advice is apprecitated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Basically, I am applying currently and planning on submitting my app in the next couple days.

Stats:
5 months working retail
99 PCAT
3.77 GPA

I think I should be able to do well on my interviews but I am very nervous for them (assuming I get some). I have a good GPA right now but I also want to finish out my major. To do so I would have to take 18 hours and 2 labs of fairly difficult upper division classes, and I could definitely risk my GPA falling some amount. I know GPA doesn't matter once you're in but I am downright scared about what would happen if I don't get in to UT or UH, and have to stay another year and apply again with a lower GPA.

I have 2 options: either man up, take a crazy schedule or drop one of my major but non prereqs to have an easier semester and not risk messing up my GPA if I need to keep it high to apply again.

Don't kill yourself if you have your Pre reqs for pharmacy school and already applied. You will get anywhere with that pcat score. I don't think schools will focus That much on your gpa If you're taking such a crazy schedule. Trust me. Schools look at you all around. Not just your overall gpa. They take into consideration the difficulty of classes and the credit load

Fellow Pre-Pharm here. Your stats are top notch, and will put you ahead of the game. If your Pre-Reqs are completed, then forget about the degree. You don't have to kill yourself if you already have completed the necessary Pre-reqs.

It is not likeley that you will have to apply again given your stats. All the best to you mate.

Members don't see this ad :)

Stats:
5 months working retail
99 PCAT
3.77 GPA

I think I should be able to do well on my interviews but I am very nervous for them (assuming I get some). I have a good GPA right now but I also want to finish out my major. To do so I would have to take 18 hours and 2 labs of fairly difficult upper division classes, and I could definitely risk my GPA falling some amount. I know GPA doesn't matter once you're in but I am downright scared about what would happen if I don't get in to UT or UH, and have to stay another year and apply again with a lower GPA.

Completing your major might make you appear more well-rounded for UT, but for TAMU and UH it's definitely not necessary. For reference, I have a 3.6 GPA/ 80 PCAT and both TAMU and UH have given me an interview. My gpa was verified about 10 days ago. If you REALLY want to graduate, can you complete one or two courses over the summer? I know some schools will let you walk in the spring as long as you finish your remaining course in the summer. Personally, I'd continue working retail to gain more experience to make up for your lack of volunteering and take less credit hours.

What school do you go to?
Wish you the best.

I forgot to mention u really are clutch tho

You are way overqualified. Pharmacy school is really easy to get into. The real hard is landing a job to pay off those $200k+ loans. I would apply to med, PA, or dental school instead, or switch your major to computer science for better job prospects.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Fellow Pre-Pharm here. Your stats are top notch, and will put you ahead of the game. If your Pre-Reqs are completed, then forget about the degree. You don't have to kill yourself if you already have completed the necessary Pre-reqs.

It is not likeley that you will have to apply again given your stats. All the best to you mate.

yeah true, but the fact i've paid 60k and 3 years tuition really makes me want to get something out of it. But true, I think i'll just hold off in case and take it over summer with absolutely no pressure instead

Completing your major might make you appear more well-rounded for UT, but for TAMU and UH it's definitely not necessary. For reference, I have a 3.6 GPA/ 80 PCAT and both TAMU and UH have given me an interview. My gpa was verified about 10 days ago. If you REALLY want to graduate, can you complete one or two courses over the summer? I know some schools will let you walk in the spring as long as you finish your remaining course in the summer. Personally, I'd continue working retail to gain more experience to make up for your lack of volunteering and take less credit hours.

What school do you go to?
Wish you the best.
hmm sounds like a good idea thanks, can defintely take em over summer and w/ no pressure at that

I go to UT austin right now

yeah true, but the fact i've paid 60k and 3 years tuition really makes me want to get something out of it. But true, I think i'll just hold off in case and take it over summer with absolutely no pressure instead
I would just go ahead and take the extra year of classes. Your degree would be a good back up if something were to happen during pharmacy school, and schools will factor in your course load when looking at you GPA.
I'm actually looking at a crappy course load myself next semester: 3 upper level bio courses: evolution, human development, micro bio, bio capstone, and organic chem II.
I wouldn't forego my degree for anything.

You are way overqualified. Pharmacy school is really easy to get into. The real hard is landing a job to pay off those $200k+ loans. I would apply to med, PA, or dental school instead, or switch your major to computer science for better job prospects.

yeah i've heard the market is tough, but there will always be jobs for those who are qualified. Might have to move, but I don't want to be a PA or NP, and too late for medicine. Still planning on taking the mcat but not sure if i'll apply anyways. Don't have hospital volunteering/extracurrics bc that was never my goal :/

Comp sci is always an option, but I can do a semester coding camp after pharm school if I can't find a job quickly. Not too worried about debt bc of parents, but I defintely feel where you're coming from. I can't recommend pharmacy to someone who is gonna take 150k debt+

yeah i've heard the market is tough, but there will always be jobs for those who are qualified. Might have to move, but I don't want to be a PA or NP, and too late for medicine. Still planning on taking the mcat but not sure if i'll apply anyways. Don't have hospital volunteering/extracurrics bc that was never my goal :/

Comp sci is always an option, but I can do a semester coding camp after pharm school if I can't find a job quickly. Not too worried about debt bc of parents, but I defintely feel where you're coming from. I can't recommend pharmacy to someone who is gonna take 150k debt+
I would just take the coding bootcamp now instead of after spending $150k+ and 4 years on pharmacy school.

Last edited:
I would just take the coding bootcamp now instead of after spending $150k+ and 4 years on pharmacy school.

Interesting that you are going around discouraging everyone from pursing pharmacy school and telling them to switch to coding/computer science instead. I see from your info that you are a pharmacy student yourself? I am just confused...