Am I competitive for Neuro?

Started by Neurorad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Neurorad

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like Neuro, but would like people's advice on my chances.....

Step 1 - 195, Step 2 - will take after October

Grades - Straight C's first two years with one B, A's & B's for third year, with one Honors in Neuro.

One dual degree (non-PhD).


Please let me know what you honestly think of my chances?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
mrmed said:
Is UCSD a 1st, second or third tier program?

UCSD is a small, but good program. This program benefits by being in one of the nicest cities in the US to live - albeit at a high cost of living. It is probably a tier 2 or tier 3 program (I would not rank it among the top 20 programs in the US based upon academic reputation).
 
I have 202/195 on my USMLE's
I am from an American Medical School
Have C>B>A in my academic record
Have done Neurology Electives
Received A in my Medicine Sub-Internship
Good Letters
Do I have a shot at a Neurology residency somewhere?
 
kelcany said:
I have 202/195 on my USMLE's
I am from an American Medical School
Have C>B>A in my academic record
Have done Neurology Electives
Received A in my Medicine Sub-Internship
Good Letters
Do I have a shot at a Neurology residency somewhere?

Yes. you did read the above posts? You just dont have high chances of matching at MGH, UCSF, etc. You will be an american medical graduate, of which almost all match in some program.

Find an advisor and/or faculty with connections to programs you are interested to help your chances.