Neuro with COMLEX only? Am I in trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Spartan Osteopath

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I am getting ready for Step 1 Level 1 and my NBME scores are high 50s to low 60s. (none > than 65). I am not happy with them and worried I may fail. So I am deciding between COMLEX and USMLE or just COMLEX and I was wondering how much of a detriment COMLEX only to matching Neuro and if it is worth the risk.

I have neuro-related experiences and 2 pubs (hopefully more by M4). I plan to apply broadly and would like to stay in or near Michigan (if possible). My advisor told me that Neuro is generally a "DO-friendly" field but I want a second opinion before I make any big decisions.

Thank you all.
 
Take Step 2 to mitigate the filters a bit more. Just on initial look through on the spreadsheet this year, those who passed Step 2 still had a good number of invites - just at more mid-tier/low-mid programs. There likely still is a filter on those who didn't take Step 1, but it's likely used less frequently than a Step 2 filter at this point.