Am I competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otherstuff12321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am a 3rd year from Canada in a low- to mid-tier US medical school, hoping to get an anesthesiology residency in the US. I was wondering if I am considered competitive.

-On Step 1 I got 245-246, honored all of my M3 clinicals except two (commendation and regular pass) with really nice evals (I didn't get a single criticism, thanks to amazing residents/attendings). I am ranked high in my class.

-I have no research (one submission for publication pending), but above average ECs (nothing specific to anesthesiology yet).

-I have one IM attending who gave me an incredible eval (said I was one of the best students he ever worked with) agree to write a non-anesthesiology letter but I don't know how anesthesiology letters will be.

-I will need an H1b visa which is a major disadvantage.

-I am hoping to get 250+ on Step 2 (got 252 on mock a month before exam).

I was hoping to apply for something like UPMC or Cleveland Clinic in Florida. I know residents at these programs and they recommend them. I have no research but I spent all my time on studying for boards and trying to impress residents. Do I appear competitive?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are fine to match. UPMC is a top tier program and might be tougher but id say you have a chance

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there!

I am a 3rd year from Canada in a low- to mid-tier US medical school, hoping to get an anesthesiology residency in the US. I was wondering if I am considered competitive.

-On Step 1 I got 245-246, honored all of my M3 clinicals except two (commendation and regular pass) with really nice evals (I didn't get a single criticism, thanks to amazing residents/attendings). I am ranked high in my class.

-I have no research (one submission for publication pending), but above average ECs (nothing specific to anesthesiology yet).

-I have one IM attending who gave me an incredible eval (said I was one of the best students he ever worked with) agree to write a non-anesthesiology letter but I don't know how anesthesiology letters will be.

I was hoping to apply for something like UPMC or Cleveland Clinic in Florida. I know residents at these programs and they recommend them. I have no research but I spent all my time on studying for boards and trying to impress residents. Do I appear competitive?

Thank you!

maybe like 50% chance you'll get interview. once you interview , most of it will depend on how you do on your interview.

biggest weakness is H1b visa, followed by no research. UPMC likes research. I dont know about CC in florida.

You have a lot of good going for you.
Pick something better than anesthesia.

Pulse and a license gets you a good job, so I didn’t even read the OP but the answer is yes.

Hi there!

Thank you!

You will be able to get into top tier programs.