Am I competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

otherstuff12321

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there!

I am a 3rd year from Canada in a low- to mid-tier US medical school, hoping to get an anesthesiology residency in the US. I was wondering if I am considered competitive.

-On Step 1 I got 245-246, honored all of my M3 clinicals except two (commendation and regular pass) with really nice evals (I didn't get a single criticism, thanks to amazing residents/attendings). I am ranked high in my class.

-I have no research (one submission for publication pending), but above average ECs (nothing specific to anesthesiology yet).

-I have one IM attending who gave me an incredible eval (said I was one of the best students he ever worked with) agree to write a non-anesthesiology letter but I don't know how anesthesiology letters will be.

-I will need an H1b visa which is a major disadvantage.

-I am hoping to get 250+ on Step 2 (got 252 on mock a month before exam).

I was hoping to apply for something like UPMC or Cleveland Clinic in Florida. I know residents at these programs and they recommend them. I have no research but I spent all my time on studying for boards and trying to impress residents. Do I appear competitive?

Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there!

I am a 3rd year from Canada in a low- to mid-tier US medical school, hoping to get an anesthesiology residency in the US. I was wondering if I am considered competitive.

-On Step 1 I got 245-246, honored all of my M3 clinicals except two (commendation and regular pass) with really nice evals (I didn't get a single criticism, thanks to amazing residents/attendings). I am ranked high in my class.

-I have no research (one submission for publication pending), but above average ECs (nothing specific to anesthesiology yet).

-I have one IM attending who gave me an incredible eval (said I was one of the best students he ever worked with) agree to write a non-anesthesiology letter but I don't know how anesthesiology letters will be.

-I will need an H1b visa which is a major disadvantage.

-I am hoping to get 250+ on Step 2 (got 252 on mock a month before exam).

I was hoping to apply for something like UPMC or Cleveland Clinic in Florida. I know residents at these programs and they recommend them. I have no research but I spent all my time on studying for boards and trying to impress residents. Do I appear competitive?

Thank you!

maybe like 50% chance you'll get interview. once you interview , most of it will depend on how you do on your interview.

biggest weakness is H1b visa, followed by no research. UPMC likes research. I dont know about CC in florida.
 
You have a lot of good going for you.
Pick something better than anesthesia.
 
Hi there!

I am a 3rd year from Canada in a low- to mid-tier US medical school, hoping to get an anesthesiology residency in the US. I was wondering if I am considered competitive.

-On Step 1 I got 245-246, honored all of my M3 clinicals except two (commendation and regular pass) with really nice evals (I didn't get a single criticism, thanks to amazing residents/attendings). I am ranked high in my class.

-I have no research (one submission for publication pending), but above average ECs (nothing specific to anesthesiology yet).

-I have one IM attending who gave me an incredible eval (said I was one of the best students he ever worked with) agree to write a non-anesthesiology letter but I don't know how anesthesiology letters will be.

-I will need an H1b visa which is a major disadvantage.

-I am hoping to get 250+ on Step 2 (got 252 on mock a month before exam).

I was hoping to apply for something like UPMC or Cleveland Clinic in Florida. I know residents at these programs and they recommend them. I have no research but I spent all my time on studying for boards and trying to impress residents. Do I appear competitive?

Thank you!

You will be able to get into top tier programs.