Am i completely screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docss26

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So im a freshman in college right now, and in the middle of 1st semester i decided i wanted to go to medical school. I managed a 4.0 first semester. Ill be taking only one science class this year which is biology. I want to know if i am behind as far as pre reqs go.

Members don't see this ad.

doc ss 26 said:
So im a freshman in college right now, and in the middle of 1st semester i decided i wanted to go to medical school. I managed a 4.0 first semester. Ill be taking only one science class this year which is biology. I want to know if i am behind as far as pre reqs go.

Are you serious? You might be a little behind, but if you really want to be premed, don't worry if you didn't start the prereqs your first year. The worst that can happen is that you take the MCAT a year later and apply one year later. No biggie...

You are a little behind but not much. Find out how to connect with the "pre-med" advisor at your school. With the advisor, map out how you will meet the pre-requisites. Some folks take a year (or two) off after college. If you don't want to take that route, you should aim to have most of your science pre-reqs done during soph/jr year (chem, organic chem, physics, biology) so that you are well prepared to take the MCAT in April of your Jr. year. About May/June you'll begin obsessing about which schools to apply to, application and supplementals go in during June-September. Interviews take place during the first 4-5 months of Senior Year and you consider your options (if you have more than one offer) and make a decision by mid-May of your senior year.

If you wait and take the MCAT in August of Senior year you can still apply to med school but you will be "late" (not the kiss of death but not optimal). You could even wait until April of Senior year, apply over the summer and work at a job while doing the med school interview thing during that "gap year".

Members don't see this ad :)
doc ss 26 said:

My first advice to you would be to do everything you possibly can to convince yourself that you don't want to go to medical school because if this isn't for you and you go down this path you are going to be one of the most miserable people on this earth. Read some of the blogs on the allopathic thread that some extremely miserable med students and residents have written if you don't believe me.

That being said, you're fine; I'm assuming you're 18 or 19 years old. You do not necessarily have to graduate in 4 years to go to medical school, and if you're hellbent on taking the mcats and entering medical school "on time,"
at the ripe old age of 21, then you can always take summer courses, but even then you probably won't have to, you'll probably jyust end up having a few semesters that have some extra science courses. My personal advice would be to live life a little bit and not worry about the timeline of your academic career because you have plenty of time. Have fun and enjoy, because now is the time to do it.

uclaguy32 said:
Are you serious? You might be a little behind, but if you really want to be premed, don't worry if you didn't start the prereqs your first year. The worst that can happen is that you take the MCAT a year later and apply one year later. No biggie...

yeah i think summer school might be an option. i met with a pre health advisor he said i would be fine, my sophomore year might be a little loaded with science though.

med school eat up experience in clinics and volunteering correct? Im gonna be working with my uncle who is an oncologist. i also will be volunteering on weekends.

doc ss 26 said:
yeah i think summer school might be an option. i met with a pre health advisor he said i would be fine, my sophomore year might be a little loaded with science though.

med school eat up experience in clinics and volunteering correct? Im gonna be working with my uncle who is an oncologist. i also will be volunteering on weekends.

Haha, I like the attitude, but unfortunately med schools don't "eat up" aything...know that as an applicant no matter what you do, somebody is doing something more impressive so don't do things just to get into med school...pick out activities within health care that you like...med schools like you to be interested in what you do

golftrippy said:
Haha, I like the attitude, but unfortunately med schools don't "eat up" aything...know that as an applicant no matter what you do, somebody is doing something more impressive so don't do things just to get into med school...pick out activities within health care that you like...med schools like you to be interested in what you do

yea thats a good point. will do. :)

You are totally screwed. Drop out of school and apply for a janitorial position.

take chemistry over summer (chem I and chem II with labs)

and take bio next year (may or may not want to take orgo witht his, could take physics though)

definitely take calc i

doc ss 26 said:

Freshman???
I think that you should be commended for thinking about this as a freshman. I wish I was more proactive as a freshman, maybe I wouldn't be a re-applicant.
Good for you!!

Hermit MMood said:
take chemistry over summer (chem I and chem II with labs)

and take bio next year (may or may not want to take orgo witht his, could take physics though)

definitely take calc i

Med schools don't always look favorably on taking important core science requirements over the summer, it tends to be watered down. something to think about...

Members don't see this ad :)
apply caribbean...
sguviewx.jpg

wow the carribean is beautiful. Must be insane to go to med. school in the northeast.

lropp said:
Med schools don't always look favorably on taking important core science requirements over the summer, it tends to be watered down. something to think about...

I disagree. Just don't take the summer courses at a school that is lower tier compared to your usual school. (Brown students are notorious for taking Orgo at some 2 bit school near home rather than taking the course at Brown).

LizzyM said:
I disagree. Just don't take the summer courses at a school that is lower tier compared to your usual school. (Brown students are notorious for taking Orgo at some 2 bit school near home rather than taking the course at Brown).

Im not sure if I agree with you...I'm taking orgo this summer at a state school near home. I don't get financial aid in the summer, so shelling out 2,000 a unit to keep my orgo from being "watered down" seems a little excessive. I've talked to several advisors and they agree.

letmein!please? said:
Im not sure if I agree with you...I'm taking orgo this summer at a state school near home. I don't get financial aid in the summer, so shelling out 2,000 a unit to keep my orgo from being "watered down" seems a little excessive. I've talked to several advisors and they agree.

i think she meant taking orgo at a community college or something. if ur taking it at a university that is much better.

The number ****** know who they are. The person who takes organic (or physics) in the summer at a community college or at a undergrad school that it really easy to get into rather than taking it at their usual school is going to raise red flags, particularly if they are flirting with a 4.0. If they have a few withdrawals on the transcript as well -- :eek:

Why not take orgo at your usual school and take electives (foreign language, for example,) at the state school over the summer?

doc ss 26 said:
hahaha NO. I was a double major (both majors unrelated to medicine or even biology) and decided to add pre-med in the fall of my fourth year. I completed everything by the end of my fifth year and then graduated. Just got accepted.

newguy357 said:
hahaha NO. I was a double major (both majors unrelated to medicine or even biology) and decided to add pre-med in the fall of my fourth year. I completed everything by the end of my fifth year and then graduated. Just got accepted.

wow how did u manage that. congrats on the acceptance.

hmm, when i read the post i thought it was being sarcastic. you're not behind at all. if i were you i'd be chillin like a villain (lil bit of illin) :).

LizzyM said:
Why not take orgo at your usual school and take electives (foreign language, for example,) at the state school over the summer?

I added my science major late, so I have to have orgo finished by next fall so I can start some upper-level classes that have orgo as a pre-req. It will be at Cal State, which is not the worst school to take it at, but i'll have to recheck with my advisors cuz you guys got me nervous now :oops:

letmein!please? said:

I took orgo over the summer at a state school near home also. It was the only way I could afford to take it over the summer, which I really wanted to do in order to not be overwhelmed during the following school year (during which I'd be studying for the MCAT). I think I've been asked about it at one or two interviews, but it doesn't seem to have been much of a problem for my application.

G'luck!

no, you're not screwed. assuming i understood you right, you should be done with BIO I and II after freshmen year, right? that leaves CHEM I and II, PHYSICS I and II for sophomore year. as for ORG CHEM I, you can take that summer before junior year and be ready for the august MCAT (since ORG CHEM II isn't required, just happens to be the common thing people take to satisfy their advanced chemistry class).

who the hell gets a 4.0 freshman year - get out there and start drinking heavily, that way you can show the med schools a nice upward trend!!!! Of course maybe this plan is why I still havent got accepted anywhere?