Am I considered a reapplicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GavinThePremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, during sophomore year of undergrad, I submitted an AMCAS for an EDP with my state school. This was part of an application to be considered an early Guaranteed Admit. However, I didn't make the cut and other students got the spot....

But will schools be able to see I've previously submitted an AMCAS application?

Members don't see this ad.

So, during sophomore year of undergrad, I submitted an AMCAS for an EDP with my state school. This was part of an application to be considered an early Guaranteed Admit. However, I didn't make the cut and other students got the spot....

But will schools be able to see I've previously submitted an AMCAS application?
Yes, you are considered a reapplicant. The second you submit AMCAS, no matter what it is or how many, you applied to medical school

Yes, you are considered a reapplicant. The second you submit AMCAS, no matter what it is or how many, you applied to medical school
No, you are a reapplicant only to schools you sent a primary to. If you submitted it only to your state school, then you are only a reapplicant to that school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, you are a reapplicant only to schools you sent a primary to. If you submitted it only to your state school, then you are only a reapplicant to that school.
Oh really? But I thought you were still considered a reapplicant in general. Because in a lot of my secondaries they asked if you were a reapplicant in general, even if you didn't apply to that school.

Oh really? But I thought you were still considered a reapplicant in general. Because in a lot of my secondaries they asked if you were a reapplicant in general, even if you didn't apply to that school.

But then wouldn't I not be a reapplicant? I never applied to Medical School, I applied to an EDP program without an MCAT score or my prereqs...goes to show how you should take SDN advice with a grain of salt.

But hey thanks for the advice both of you!

But then wouldn't I not be a reapplicant? I never applied to Medical School, I applied to an EDP program without an MCAT score or my prereqs...goes to show how you should take SDN advice with a grain of salt.

Apologies, I don't try to give advice unless if I know what I'm talking about, I thought I was right. Anyway good luck with your endeavors.

Reactions: 1 users
Apologies, I don't try to give advice unless if I know what I'm talking about, I thought I was right. Anyway good luck with your endeavors.

Yeah no worries dude, this entire thing is a bunch of what if's in the most specific situations. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
On AMCAS, it gives you the option as to whether you are a reapplicant to that school. The OP would mark no for each school except their state school. On the 40 secondaries I did, only one school asked me if I was a reapplicant in general. The majority ask whether you're a reapplicant to that particular school, and if you are, what you've done to improve your app.

Reactions: 1 user
On AMCAS, it gives you the option as to whether you are a reapplicant to that school. The OP would mark no for each school except their state school. On the 40 secondaries I did, only one school asked me if I was a reapplicant in general. The majority ask whether you're a reapplicant to that particular school, and if you are, what you've done to improve your app.
Alright, that is good to know, thanks for correcting me :)

Reactions: 1 user
Here's the thing: med schools don't automatically throw re-applicants in the trash just because they see the box being checked. It won't be an issue if you applied to a selective BS/MD program a few years ago but didn't make the cut.

Here's the thing: med schools don't automatically throw re-applicants in the trash just because they see the box being checked. It won't be an issue if you applied to a selective BS/MD program a few years ago but didn't make the cut.

Oh yeah, I realize that. I know many reapplicants who've successfully made it through, but I asked because I wouldn't be able to ansnwer how I improved...Took the MCAT? Finished College? haha

Then why did you ask in the first place if you already had decided on an answer?

Oh yeah, I realize that. I know many reapplicants who've successfully made it through, but I asked because I wouldn't be able to ansnwer how I improved...Took the MCAT? Finished College? haha

You would answer that by saying that you completed all your course requirements, gained additional clinical/research/leadership experiences, took the MCAT, and learned a lot about your own desire to become a physician in the process. You did all that, right?

You would answer that by saying that you completed all your course requirements, gained additional clinical/research/leadership experiences, took the MCAT, and learned a lot about your own desire to become a physician in the process. You did all that, right?

So, my whole question is, would I be considered a reapplicant because I'm not actually a reapplicant. I never applied to medical school. My fear was that all Medical Schools would be able to see that I'd submitted an AMCAS application to my state school, but that wasn't a traditional medical school application, it was an application to try out for a BS/MD spot. I've contacted my state school, and they said I would not be a reapplicant, since I never traditionally applied there. But, I was worried about all the other schools being able to see my AMCAS application, but apparently if I never sent in a primary to that school, I'm all right and will be considered a first-time applicant.

And, I'm sorry if it seems as if I'm bashing reapplicants, I'm not, but I just want my application to be seen as it is, a first-time one. Thanks for all the advice I've gotten on this thread.