Am I crazy/dumb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Law2Psych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm an attorney that's considering a career change. I'm fascinated with the human mind and psychology. The question is, would it be stupid for me to attempt to return to school and change careers? My only formal education is basic introductory courses, so I don't even know what I would be looking at education-wise or time-wise. And that isn't even dealing with the financial aspect of it...

So is this something that's possible? Or should I just let it go and keep on lawyering?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are a lawyer, the first adjective probably applies more than the second. ;)
Seriously though, dealing with human psychology and the mind is part of almost any career. Perhaps moving into another area of practice of law might be more fulfilling for you and might be easier than transitioning into another profession that would require probably about six or seven more years of low paying education and training and maybe even volunteering to work in a research lab for a year or two. I personally never thought of becoming an attorney, but I have found quite an interest in the law especially as competence to address legal issues relevant to the practice of psychology is part of our training and education. If I wanted to scratch that itch more, there are definitely areas of overlap.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The years of not having much income aren't a huge deal, especially since I could probably do some contract legal work that would pay decently for a few hours.

It's more the ability to pay loans and have a life after I'm out of school and start earning again.

Of course, I speak from some ignorance, obviously. I don't know what I'd have to do to even get into a graduate program at this point, or how long that would take.

Since you are a lawyer, the first adjective probably applies more than the second. ;)
Seriously though, dealing with human psychology and the mind is part of almost any career. Perhaps moving into another area of practice of law might be more fulfilling for you and might be easier than transitioning into another profession that would require probably about six or seven more years of low paying education and training and maybe even volunteering to work in a research lab for a year or two. I personally never thought of becoming an attorney, but I have found quite an interest in the law especially as competence to address legal issues relevant to the practice of psychology is part of our training and education. If I wanted to scratch that itch more, there are definitely areas of overlap.

That may be true. And I have dealt with some competency issues, as well as civil commitments. And I tend to find the psych side of it more interesting than the legal side.

Of course, I speak from some ignorance, obviously. I don't know what I'd have to do to even get into a graduate program at this point, or how long that would take.

This is kind of the kicker. First you need to make sure any pre-reqs you need are completed. Second, if you don't have any research experience, that would be another thing that would require some connections and time to get. Not impossible, just difficult when you're not currently at a university/academic settings where you can more easily connect. As for loans and such, as long as you stay away from the diploma mills, loans aren't that big a problem depending on where you live and your budgeting style. Something like a 1/3 of PhDs don't accrue any loans from grad school, and others generally keep it manageable.

This is kind of the kicker. First you need to make sure any pre-reqs you need are completed. Second, if you don't have any research experience, that would be another thing that would require some connections and time to get. Not impossible, just difficult when you're not currently at a university/academic settings where you can more easily connect. As for loans and such, as long as you stay away from the diploma mills, loans aren't that big a problem depending on where you live and your budgeting style. Something like a 1/3 of PhDs don't accrue any loans from grad school, and others generally keep it manageable.

Well, I've already accrued a good amount between undergrad and law school, so keeping additional debt minimal would be great. And, of course, I would avoid diploma mills. If I did this, I'd want to make a good career out of it.

Is there any way to find non-trad posts around here? Looks like Pre-Med gets a whole forum for Non-Trads! Haha. But anything on pre-reqs, volunteering, shadowing, research, etc, that may be necessary or helpful for someone considering changing careers?

You really need to figure out specifically why Psychology is appealing to you. I think a lot of people get drawn in because it seems "cool" but then find out that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Consider carefully what Clinical Psychologists (or whatever you choose to work towards, Clinical Neuropsychology, Educational Psychologist, etc) do day-to-day, and consider if that is what you want to do.

You really need to figure out specifically why Psychology is appealing to you. I think a lot of people get drawn in because it seems "cool" but then find out that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Consider carefully what Clinical Psychologists (or whatever you choose to work towards, Clinical Neuropsychology, Educational Psychologist, etc) do day-to-day, and consider if that is what you want to do.

Yeah, I definitely get that. I'm sure it isn't all sunshine and puppies on that side. The law tends to be one of those professions that has that problem too. And it was a problem I fell victim to. I needed to do something after undergrad, people told me I should be a lawyer, so I did. And I learned it's not all it's cracked up to be, haha. But I do fine with the backround and administrative work that's required in my job that kind of gets glossed over in the Law & Order ideal.

If I gave an interest in psychology at this point, it would primarily be in the area of personality disorders, though I would also be interested in dissociative and schizophrenic disorders (due to experiences with people I know).

Admittedly, I need to test my interest in the field generally and need to get some foundation, so advice on how to go about doing that is greatly appreciated. I am working my way through some of the threads I'm finding here.

Honestly, if you wanted to make money, I'd be thinking of getting neuro experience and going into forensics, if you are boarded in neuropsych and have a JD, you will have plenty of work and you can bill very nicely for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, if you wanted to make money, I'd be thinking of getting neuro experience and going into forensics, if you are boarded in neuropsych and have a JD, you will have plenty of work and you can bill very nicely for it.

And what would be the best route for someone who has no psych undergrad to begin pursuing that? I would guess some undergrad courses followed by a terminal master's prior to applying to a PhD?

And what would be the best route for someone who has no psych undergrad to begin pursuing that? I would guess some undergrad courses followed by a terminal master's prior to applying to a PhD?

Getting undergrad courses to clear up any pre-reqs you would need is step 1, step 2 would be getting some relevant research experience, anything in the neuro realm. Look for opportunities at the university that you're doing pre-reqs in, most large universities should have multiple ingoing research projects, although finding neuro specific stuff will be site specific.

I agree that a natural fit would be forensic psychology. You would still need general clinical training, so you could always fall back on that if you really wanted a total career shift. That said, if you enjoy the research side of the law, then you may very well enjoy research in psychology.

Is there any way to find non-trad posts around here? Looks like Pre-Med gets a whole forum for Non-Trads! Haha. But anything on pre-reqs, volunteering, shadowing, research, etc, that may be necessary or helpful for someone considering changing careers?

It's challenging to switch into this field. But it can be done. I went to grad school with a few folks who were pursuing psychology as a second career, and my advisor was also a non-trad. There is no shortcut around the undergrad requirements, though you probably cobble together some sort of DIY post-bac rather than pursue a second bachelor's. The pivotal thing for you would be research experience, and that could be university-based although strictly speaking it doesn't need to be. It depends on the resources in your local area.

There's an entire legal field which focuses on psychology. You might want to read Michael Perlin's work.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that a natural fit would be forensic psychology. You would still need general clinical training, so you could always fall back on that if you really wanted a total career shift. That said, if you enjoy the research side of the law, then you may very well enjoy research in psychology.

Indeed it may be. I'll look into it but from what little I've read, it seems to be an extremely competitive field.

It's challenging to switch into this field. But it can be done. I went to grad school with a few folks who were pursuing psychology as a second career, and my advisor was also a non-trad. There is no shortcut around the undergrad requirements, though you probably cobble together some sort of DIY post-bac rather than pursue a second bachelor's. The pivotal thing for you would be research experience, and that could be university-based although strictly speaking it doesn't need to be. It depends on the resources in your local area.

Thanks. That's encouraging. I'm in rural Minnesota so I don't know how much there is resource-wise. I'll try to find info though.

Our post-doc (now clinical psychologist!) Did this and seems pretty happy with it though she now studies a closely related field. I'm not sure but I think the monetary aspect was the one drawback to grad school but as far as preparedness her JD and work experience were seen as pluses

Our post-doc (now clinical psychologist!) Did this and seems pretty happy with it though she now studies a closely related field. I'm not sure but I think the monetary aspect was the one drawback to grad school but as far as preparedness her JD and work experience were seen as pluses

That's awesome. You should get her on here so I can chat with her lol.