Am I crazy to apply to 28 schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3.96 gpa, MCAT next month (avg 33 practice test but that means nothing..),

2 yrs research w/ presentations, and 2 competitive research grants

2 yrs orgo/chem/bio tutor
1 yr honor mentor leader
Published by annual university magazine as one of 6 students to watch
160 hrs clinical volunteering (including sitting with dying patients every week)
100 hrs shadowing
3 competitive bodybuilding shows during college
Various academic scholarships
Pre med club president
Bla bla bla stuff like that...

I have narrowed down my list of schools to 28...does anyone think this is overkill?

Ohio State
Vanderbilt
Case Western
Colorado
Mayo
Iowa
Tufts
Wake Forest
Cincinnati
Oregon Health and Sciences
Wisconsin at Madison
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Illinois
Penn State
West Virginia
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush (Chicago)
Nevada
U of Toledo
U of Vermont
Minnesota
Arkansas
U of Iowa
Kentucky
U of Washington (via WWAMI)
Dartmouth

Members don't see this ad.

I think that's fine. I applied to 32 (which ended up being too many but you never know how it will go until the cycle is underway) You can always decline interviews once you get acceptances if you end up being successful.

I think that's fine. I applied to 32 (which ended up being too many but you never know how it will go until the cycle is underway) You can always decline interviews once you get acceptances if you end up being successful.

That's my thinking- I realize filling out 28 secondaries in a short time period will suck, but it seems so much more worth it to get in your first try than have to go through this process twice. It'll be a hefty hit on the old wallet but I don't think I'll care about that if I get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say if you got the money, apply to as many schools as you want. I know I'm going to be apply to ~30 schools. I don't think it's worth the heart ache of having to wait another year.

Twenty-eight is close to the 25 I would have suggested, but how can you decide on the schools without the MCAT score? Would the list change if you go an MCAT of 36? What will you do it you get a 27?

3.96 gpa, MCAT next month (avg 33 practice test but that means nothing..),

2 yrs research w/ presentations, and 2 competitive research grants

2 yrs orgo/chem/bio tutor
1 yr honor mentor leader
Published by annual university magazine as one of 6 students to watch
160 hrs clinical volunteering (including sitting with dying patients every week)
100 hrs shadowing
3 competitive bodybuilding shows during college
Various academic scholarships
Pre med club president
Bla bla bla stuff like that...

I have narrowed down my list of schools to 28...does anyone think this is overkill?

Ohio State
Vanderbilt
Case Western
Colorado
Mayo
Iowa
Tufts
Wake Forest
Cincinnati
Wisconsin at Madison
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Illinois
Penn State
West Virginia
Rush (Chicago)
Nevada
U of Toledo
U of Vermont
Minnesota
Arkansas
U of Iowa
Kentucky
Dartmouth

with stats and a profile like yours, why aren't you applying to MSSM, Mayo, chicago, yale, northwestern, and the like?

Assuming you're from Alaska (since you want to apply WWAMI)?

I think 20-30 schools is a fine number, depending on how much you're willing to work to churn out secondaries. I wrote 15-20, and it was definitely a strain, even during a relatively free summer.

I think you can cut down a few of the schools that are OOS-unfriendly like WVU, UW-Madison, Iowa, Arkansas, and Kentucky. And if your MCAT comes in as you think it will, then consider adding a few reaches to the top since it seems like the rest of your profile could really work well for you. Depending on which direction you're leaning (primary care vs. research), you can think about schools like Northwestern, Duke, WashU, UCs, etc.

Good luck.

Assuming you're from Alaska (since you want to apply WWAMI)?

I think 20-30 schools is a fine number, depending on how much you're willing to work to churn out secondaries. I wrote 15-20, and it was definitely a strain, even during a relatively free summer.

I think you can cut down a few of the schools that are OOS-unfriendly like WVU, UW-Madison, Iowa, Arkansas, and Kentucky. And if your MCAT comes in as you think it will, then consider adding a few reaches to the top since it seems like the rest of your profile could really work well for you. Depending on which direction you're leaning (primary care vs. research), you can think about schools like Northwestern, Duke, WashU, UCs, etc.

Good luck.

Yea I am extremely surprised that for someone with a good a GPA as yours and decent ECs, you're not applying to more competitive schools. sure keep the in-state, some safeties, and a bunch of others. but please also apply to more competitive schools. why the low confidence?

Anything more than 15 schools is overkill IMHO, especially with those high stats of yours. Applying to so many, even if you have the money and time, is uncalled for since you only need one acceptance. my .02 cents.

Yea I am extremely surprised that for someone with a good a GPA as yours and decent ECs, you're not applying to more competitive schools. sure keep the in-state, some safeties, and a bunch of others. but please also apply to more competitive schools. why the low confidence?

I don't know, just want to get in somewhere. What schools should I add? I worked hard and have saved tons of money up for med school apps so adding/taking away schools isn't an issue

Twenty-eight is close to the 25 I would have suggested, but how can you decide on the schools without the MCAT score? Would the list change if you go an MCAT of 36? What will you do it you get a 27?

If I got a 36 I'd just send out all my secondaries. If I got a 27 I'd simply cut my losses and accept that I'd lose around 2000 on my primaries...and probably just send out out a few secondaries even though no one would take me with a 27 mcat despite my gpa

Also- just out of curiosity what kind of MCAT would I need to get into a single medical school (with my stats and assuming I interview well).

I am thinking If I can get a 30-31 SOME school will take me right? But any lower than 30 and I'm in bad shape right?

Also- just out of curiosity what kind of MCAT would I need to get into a single medical school (with my stats and assuming I interview well).

I am thinking If I can get a 30-31 SOME school will take me right? But any lower than 30 and I'm in bad shape right?

Does Alaska have its own school or some kind of "Alaskans count as in-state" agreement with another state? I know people that have gotten in to their state schools with similar/lower GPA, comparable ECs, and 28 MCATs (one of these people got the 28 on a second attempt after a 25). You might be just fine even w/o a 30...but always shoot for 45 anyway :)

Does Alaska have its own school or some kind of "Alaskans count as in-state" agreement with another state? I know people that have gotten in to their state schools with similar/lower GPA, comparable ECs, and 28 MCATs (one of these people got the 28 on a second attempt after a 25). You might be just fine even w/o a 30...but always shoot for 45 anyway :)

yes alaska does. Some schools like oregon health and science university consider students from WICHE states (which includes alaska) to be in state for their particular school. There are maybe 5 med schools like this? New mexico also has this program, there are more i think i just dont remember

Ohio State
Vanderbilt
Case Western
Colorado
Mayo
Iowa
Tufts
Wake Forest
Cincinnati
Wisconsin at Madison
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Illinois
Penn State
West Virginia
Rush (Chicago)
Nevada
U of Toledo
U of Vermont
Minnesota
Arkansas
U of Iowa
Kentucky
Dartmouth

Odd list...too many OOS where you have very little chance, and even if you get lucky, you will pay a buttload in tuition.

Drop the bolded above, and add the following:

SLU
EVMS
VCU
NYMC

Add a few reaches like:

Northwestern
Pritzker
Columbia

That should put you around 25 schools, which should be plenty for your stats.

Crazy to apply to 28 schools? Not if you can afford it. Make sure you have an idea of the costs with all of the secondaries, travel, etc. Getting in to any school is priceless and applying to more schools can only increase your chances, and actually having a choice between more than one great school would be more than priceless. It's more a question of applying to the right schools, which I am coming to find requires quite a few hours of research. I've heard many people say they are surprised by what schools accept or reject them though, so there would be no harm in applying to a few reachers as long as you have a good mix of mid and "safety" schools as well.

28 schools sounds fine. You could technically apply to less, but if money is not an issue, just go for it. You can always reduce the number after the secondaries start coming in. In general, I think you should apply broadly, and then cut schools off depending on how many secondaries you get. Good luck.