Am I crazy to consider a T80 over a T5?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorriedFrenchFry

Reaction score
Hey all. I’m currently having an internal debate that I’m sure is being fueled by imposter syndrome. I got accepted into Hackensack, as well as schools like WashU and Hopkins. I have been very fortunate that money is not an issue. However, I am so worried about being “last in the pack” if I decide to go to a school like WashU or Hopkins. Meanwhile, what if I really excel in a school like Hackensack? It’s the idea of do I want to be a small fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a small pond? Yet, the amount of doors and opportunities that the “higher tier” schools have available cannot be understated, and I feel like I’ll miss out greatly if I don’t go. I truly do want to make an impact in medicine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you would be crazy to turn down a full ride to Hopkins because you have impostor syndrome. Most of the classes are pass/fail.

Plus, I don’t think anyone can plan to “excel” at any medical school. There is no guarantee you will kill it at Hackensack just because Hopkins accepted you. And my guess is Hackensack has traditional grading.

Just go to Hopkins with its mostly P/F and never look back. I’m not sure if Wash U is P/F but if it is, consider that too, and then eliminate it and go to Hopkins. :)

Congrats on an amazing cycle!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
That is very true that I cannot plan to excel at any medical school. My apologies for being presumptuous that because I got into Hopkins, I can immediately excel at Hackensack. That is a valid point, as all students are driven to be the best no matter what school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I just saw your edits. Thank you for your advice, and congrats on your amazing cycle too!!

Implicit in your statement is the notion that a bottom student at Hopkins would be a top student at Hackensack. You will find that this is not true.

What you will find is that having "Hopkins" on your diploma and a paucity of medical school debt will open doors and give you greater flexibility about your career choices. I don't think it would be crazy to turn down such an offer, but it would certainly be unwise.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Implicit in your statement is the notion that a bottom student at Hopkins would be a top student at Hackensack. You will find that this is not true.
I realize my thinking and wording were definitely flawed. I apologize for how I thought, it is truly not an appropriate or fair thing to say, especially to any student who worked hard to get accepted to any medical school. I was more worried with the idea that students accepted to schools like WashU or Hopkins have already an insane resume and ECs, so they could more likely get access to the opportunities available at such schools. I also hear that such schools may have “gunners” who jump on all and every opportunity without mind to their peers. Although by speaking with students at all the institutions I was accepted to, it seems peers may be more collaborative than it previously appeared. Now I feel like I’m just dissing every school’s class haha; I don’t mean to, and none of these statements come from a place of looking down on the school. It is more thinking about my own quality of life for the next four years.

• Care
I realize my thinking and wording were definitely flawed. I apologize for how I thought, it is truly not an appropriate or fair thing to say, especially to any student who worked hard to get accepted to any medical school. I was more worried with the idea that students accepted to schools like WashU or Hopkins have already an insane resume and ECs, so they could more likely get access to the opportunities available at such schools. I also hear that such schools may have “gunners” who jump on all and every opportunity without mind to their peers. Although by speaking with students at all the institutions I was accepted to, it seems peers may be more collaborative than it previously appeared. Now I feel like I’m just dissing every school’s class haha; I don’t mean to, and none of these statements come from a place of looking down on the school. It is more thinking about my own quality of life for the next four years.
Don’t be silly. It was a fair question. For undergrad sometimes being a big fish in a small pond can make all the difference. The problem with med school is every single pond is filled with sharks.

I think you will find gunners at every school, whether it be Hackensack, Wash U, or Hopkins. I think pass fail somewhat neutralizes gunneristic tendencies, though without grades gunners will no doubt target other opportunities to distinguish themselves, such as forging relationships with important mentors and sniping top research opportunities.

But I think you will feel considerably less stressed at Hopkins than Hackensack where you would have to worry about all this plus grades/rank/AOA, presumably.

The Hopkins name carries a ton of weight in residency programs, plus there is always the home field advantage. Johns Hopkins Hospital residencies are top notch in basically every specialty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
For undergrad sometimes being a big fish in a small pond can make all the difference. The problem with med school is every single pond is filled with sharks.

Well said!

I would choose Hopkins in a heartbeat if I were you. The prestige of med school is now weighted more heavily for residency spots after Step 1 became pass/fail.

Reactions: 2 users
If your reason for going to a T80 instead of Hopkins is nervousness about performing well, you should go to hopkins. They let you in for a reason. Those ivy league med students put their pants on just like the rest of us do, one leg at a time....... you'll be fine.

You're really just gonna end up grinding AnKing anyway like every other med student regardless of where you go.

Reactions: 5 users
The only reasons to even consider a T80 over a T5 are:
1) Significant cost difference
2) Closer proximity to family or SO

Even still, I’d pay a lot more for a T5 school, and I would move away from family unless they had some sort of acute need.

Reactions: 2 users
Come to Hopkins. There will be gunners at every school, but with Hopkins' P/F, there's no incentive for people to act on that impulse. There are also plenty of opportunities to go around. Assuming you like research, even if every lab you were interested in were theoretically full, the NIH is so close that you could make your own opportunities (Hopkins is fine supporting work at the NIH).

Take Hopkins' money and run. Congrats on your outstanding cycle! I hope to see you in Baltimore this fall!

Last edited: