Am I doing studying right/enough as OMS1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eturch

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am in my third day of med school and have been having doubts about if I’m studying or doing enough of it. For context I go to lectures in person which run for 4 hours (4 separate lectures). I then come come do anki on those lectures and go over/annotate the note sheets that come with those lectures and also the lectures themselves. I looked at my iPad screen time and it’s about 8 hours per day (not including the anki which I do on my laptop). I’m not sure if I’m doing enough or if something about my studying is inefficient where what I’m doing shouldn’t take me 8+ hours. Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Go talk to your school's learning or education center.

But at my school, keep in mind that it take a bunch of students aboput 1/3rd to 1/2 of the Fall semester trying to find thier (new) optimal learning style. Many people learn that what worked for UG doesn't work for med schools, mainly due to the sheer volume of material, as opposed to the rigor.

AND, go talk to your faculty!!!!

AND: read this:
Goro’s guide to success in medical school (2019 ed.)

Reactions: 2 users
8 hours sounds like plenty. Imo, it’s hard to have true focus for much longer than 8 hours a day and you will prob hit diminishing returns way before that. You will probably spend extra time in the first block because you’re figuring things out, but then you should be able to study more efficiently.

I’m sure you’ll hear classmates talking about all nighters, every day is 12 hrs, and stuff like that. However, what you aren’t hearing is the lack of focus, excessive breaks, talking with friends instead of studying, etc. If you are studying 12 hrs + a day and pulling all nights on the regular, you are doing something very wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on one thing - your memory and learning type.
if you have good auditory memory and anki works for you then 8 hours is enough.

BUT, if you're like me, and can't remember words...purely a visual learner, you'll need to study 16+ hours to convert everything into a visual representation of it (aka sketchy). ***for context, I've been trying the past 2 years to be able to recall the full acronym of SIGECAPS and DIGFAST. I still can't do it. Just can't. It's impossible. So i make diy sketchy of everything. Takes forever but it helps with retension.

I study 16+ hours a day.

Last edited: