Should I mention my parent does specialty I am applying for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr. Pineal Gland

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am currently appying for sub-Is, and very soon residency. I am applying to the same specialty that one of my parents does for a living. Is there any benefit/disadvantage to bringing this up? I figured I could tie in my knowledge of the career from the otherside of the fence.

Thank you!
 
If this topic comes up organically during conversation, then it’s cool. But if I get a hunch that the student is forcing or steering purposefully towards this topic, then it is a negative in my book.

Just worry about being a hard working self aware student, who brings passion and wants to be a team player, the rest will take care of itself.

Disclosure: from my own perspective as an IM APD.
 
If this topic comes up organically during conversation, then it’s cool. But if I get a hunch that the student is forcing or steering purposefully towards this topic, then it is a negative in my book.

Just worry about being a hard working self aware student, who brings passion and wants to be a team player, the rest will take care of itself.

Disclosure: from my own perspective as an IM APD.
Thank you. Typically if someone asks me if I have family in medicine I bring it up, but I feel like saying it off the bat can be negatively portrayed. On essays and applications I don't mention it.