Am i doing the right thing ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobebucsfan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in May 2012 and applied in July. So far no news :oops::oops:

So for the spring semester I am planning on taking 3 upper level courses:

General Physiology, Biochem Lab, Human Genetics

To boost my gpa and to also show i'm not wasting any time.

Am i doing the right thing ? or should i be doing something else while waiting for the past cycle and preparing for the next cycle ??

Members don't see this ad.

What are your approximate stats? Is a DAT retake warranted? Taking science classes is a smart move, you might consider adding one more science class to the mix.

I have 3.48 GPA overall, Science GPA of 3.33

DAT: AA19 TS19 PAT21

Members don't see this ad :)
Some on here might tell you to retake the DAT. I think if you are able to increase both GPAs, which will probably take more than one more semester, by senior year it is hard to get a GPA to move too much, you can get accepted somewhere.

Just get a 4.0 this spring semester and apply super early June to 20+ schools and you will get in...you may get lucky with post dec invites there there still handing them out

I would suggest retaking the DAT. AA and TS 19 is solid, but to stand out you would need a 20-21+.

For your GPA on the other hand, you cannot really change much on that. You can take those classes and get A's in them, but your overall would probably be a 3.51 and science would be a 3.4.

If you can pull that off with a good personal statement, essays, and show that you are committing to dentistry with that one year gap. I think you will be set for the next round of applications.

in my opinion, i think you are fine OP. yea a 20+ would prob be better, but your scores make you competitive for schools like USC. keep showing interest and i think you'll get 1-2 post dec interviews. good luck