Am I Doing Things Right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is nothing wrong with having several interests that are seemingly unconnected to medicine. Does the mere act of weaving activities together make you look more attractive? Probably not. The reason why other posters in the past and I have said that it is good to have a theme and some connection between activities is because 1) you will perform better overall at those endeavours because they are tied to what you love to do (i.e. volunteer with special olympics instead of stocking pantries if OP's hobby is PL) and 2) be able to go in-depth about your passions from multiple perspectives (volunteer, research etc all focused on nutrition, for example) and leave a strong memory/impression of who YOU are. Synthesizing a connection to look good negates the benefits aforementioned because your lack of enthusiasm and passion won't help you perform better in those activities and you will have a very difficult time selling why you did what you did in the interview. In short, there is no bonus just because two activities are linked; rather, it is the intangibles associated with having a theme that indirectly helps an applicant.
While I can't speak on everyone's behalf, I can speak on my own. My sole motivation is to reach my maximum potential at anything I choose to do. For this reason, I had no need to give meaning to perform better. My meaning was to perform at my best. (no I don't bring other people down so that I can be best, I always help people. I teach them etc. I want them to do well too. My ideal world is one where everyone uses their full potential to advance human society.) Anyway, so because of this adding a theme was really just to make myself seem less superficial to admissions committee. As I repeat my story it's become very natural for me and I come off as very authentic but I personally couldn't care less deep down. Will this make me a more attractive candidate? Without a doubt. Adding a theme gives off authenticity, ambition, passion, and positive vibes to your interviewer. Saying that this doesn't help unless it made you more productive is utter nonsense. People want a story because we'd all like to be optimistic about the world and believe that jewels exist out there.

Members don't see this ad.

While I can't speak on everyone's behalf, I can speak on my own. My sole motivation is to reach my maximum potential at anything I choose to do. For this reason, I had no need to give meaning to perform better. My meaning was to perform at my best. (no I don't bring other people down so that I can be best, I always help people. I teach them etc. I want them to do well too. My ideal world is one where everyone uses their full potential to advance human society.) Anyway, so because of this adding a theme was really just to make myself seem less superficial to admissions committee. As I repeat my story it's become very natural for me and I come off as very authentic but I personally couldn't care less deep down. Will this make me a more attractive candidate? Without a doubt. Adding a theme gives off authenticity, ambition, passion, and positive vibes to your interviewer. Saying that this doesn't help unless it made you more productive is utter nonsense. People want a story because we'd all like to be optimistic about the world and believe that jewels exist out there.
Just having a theme itself is unlikely to score you points; it's like having a publication by itself won't score you points if you come off as knowing nothing about the project. People realize when things are genuine. Am I saying it's impossible to fake it? No. Also, you may not be as good a judge of how you come off to the interviewer as you may think. Most interviewers are trained to make you feel good, confident, and think that everything is going well. Certainly not nonsense, but I'm not here to argue with you--seems like I ruffled your feathers by your language. You seem to be the fake it til you make it kinda person so good luck, I could care less if that's what you preach and die by.

Just having a theme itself is unlikely to score you points; it's like having a publication by itself won't score you points if you come off as knowing nothing about the project. People realize when things are genuine. Am I saying it's impossible to fake it? No. Also, you may not be as good a judge of how you come off to the interviewer as you may think. Most interviewers are trained to make you feel good, confident, and think that everything is going well. Certainly not nonsense, but I'm not here to argue with you--seems like I ruffled your feathers by your language. You seem to be the fake it til you make it kinda person so good luck, I could care less if that's what you preach and die by.
You haven't ruffled my feathers and I am the fake it til I make it kind of person.. hence why I preach it. It's gotten me brownie points throughout my undergraduate career, with very respected members of the world etc. It'll get me brownie points with adcoms as well.

It's very rarely the undyingly passionate that succeed, it's normally the cutthroat willing to do what it takes regardless of the consequences person that succeeds. Just keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
You haven't ruffled my feathers and I am the fake it til I make it kind of person.. hence why I preach it. It's gotten me brownie points throughout my undergraduate career, with very respected members of the world etc. It'll get me brownie points with adcoms as well.

It's very rarely the undyingly passionate that succeed, it's normally the cutthroat willing to do what it takes regardless of the consequences person that succeeds. Just keep that in mind.
Don't know what environment you grew up in...but your perception is your reality.

Reactions: 1 user

Don't know what environment you grew up in...but your perception is your reality.

I've tried the whole pursue your passions in high school while sacrificing a little sat score and I got absolutely decimated when it came to college admissions when compared to my peers who gamed the system. I've realized that "pursue your passions" is more of a facade to make admissions look better. However when it comes down to it, "passion" can be easily faked.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually think there's a lot of great advice on this thread for admissions to a top program for medical school.

Here are my 2 cents:

You're planning everything well but as some people have pointed out, you need something that makes you stand out. By checking off these boxes, you'll have a higher chance of getting your foot in the door to a top 10 school. However, if you can differentiate yourself with something you like to do and connect that back to medicine, I think you'll see greater returns.

You don't have to focus your entire undergraduate career on science and only science classes. I'd take the opportunity to explore something else (business, art, english - whatever) and see if you like it at all. If you do, you can get a minor, build an interest in that, and maybe even on a club related to it. By doing so, you really expand your horizons as an applicant.

I am 100% positive that there will be dozens of applicants applying to places like Harvard with all of the same boxes checked off as you. You'll all have similar PS so what's going to differentiate you from the rest of them? You need that extra "umph" that pushes you through and as someone mentioned before, something to make yourself "pointy." Yes, ideally you could be something like an olympic weightlifter but that's unreasonable for 99% of people so the easiest path to making yourself pointy is simply doing something that will differentiate yourself. I'm personally partial to Business, but most applicants I know that have gone to great schools have a double major or something like that.

I've tried the whole pursue your passions in high school while sacrificing a little sat score and I got absolutely decimated when it came to college admissions when compared to my peers who gamed the system. I've realized that "pursue your passions" is more of a facade to make admissions look better. However when it comes down to it, "passion" can be easily faked.
I think for the most part people can and do get quite far without true passion for one's activities. However, I think most people at the tip top (like HMS) actually do have passion in what they are doing (1st year there this fall). You really can't not have passion and be committed to a level of training like making the Olympics etc which are the caliber ECs that get you into the tip top schools.

I understand your frustrations, beleive me, but I wouldn't gun for that mentality. Every step of your life you'll have a chance to do better and continue to advance that mentality.

High school- 4.0, 2200+ SAT, ect
College- 4.0, 95%+ MCAT
Med school- AOA, 95% on USMLE, Honor all rotation- gun for top 10 residency
Residency- Become chief resident, gun for top position at an academic institution as an attending
Attending- gun to become partner ect

By the time your life is done and you are making substantial money, the majority of the "fun years" of your life will have passed. Now with the gunner mentality of trying to achieve those top stats, you may/will probably have missed out on many other opportunities such as socializing, pursuing other hobbies and interests and ect. When you look back at life, would you be able to say you truly enjoyed life? I for one wouldn't be able to say that. But to each their own.