Am I done with the DAT's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FTA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys! Here's a breakdown of my DAT scores and my background. I need you to let me know if I have a good shot at dental school.

I'm a Microbiology major with a Spanish minor. Part of the Honors Program. Done a lot of volunteer work and been part of 4 organizations at the University. Participated in 2 researches; received 1 publication. Got some shadowing experience with a local dentist. Interned at a Microbiology-related job.

PAT - 19
QR - 14
RC - 20
Bio - 18
GC - 17
OC - 19
TS - 18
AA - 18

GPA - 3.27
Science GPA - 3.3

What are my chances of getting into dental school with these scores and credentials? What about just the DAT scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you an african american student? hispanic student? if so, then your stats are solid.

If you are Asian or White, i think you should retake

I'm Asian. I didn't know race/ethnicity was such a huge factor. Hmm. I guess I can always re-take to be on the safe side. Then again, I don't want to take it to many times.

I'm Asian. I didn't know race/ethnicity was such a huge factor. Hmm. I guess I can always re-take to be on the safe side. Then again, I don't want to take it to many times.

Definitely retake. Make sure you kill it on the next try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely retake.. 14 QR will prob filter u out .. from a few schools already.. and an average TS and AA.. aren't going to cut it :\. Aim for at least 20 in each section (especially the sciences)

On average, dental school applicants take the DAT twice. Good news is, these scores are not bad. But like others have said, you will probably want to retake. Use the fact that you have already taken the test to your advantage. Continue to do what you think worked and change what you think did not. A little more in depth studying and you should be in the science 20's in no time.

Thank you all for your advice. I greatly appreciate it. I'll give it another shot and hopefully do a lot better.

Good luck to all of you. I'm sure all of you will do great. Ciao!

I think you are fine even though you made a 14 in QR because most schools don't even acknowledge this section.

I think you are fine even though you made a 14 in QR because most schools don't even acknowledge this section.

I'm pretty sure schools acknowledge this section. It's definitely not a great predictor of future success in dentistry. But it's nonetheless a section on the DAT, and it still affects your AA. Thus, it shouldn't be taken lightly. I think getting less than a 15 in any section, even QR, would merit a retake. Just my opinion.

I was in a similar boat on the DAT. I made a 16 in QR, but overall my AA and TS was slightly above average 19 and 20 respectively. I sat down with the assistant dean of admissions at VCU school of dentistry. He told me directly that the QR really didn't have any significance in the field of dentistry and needs to be eliminated from the test. So..... If you could get your GPA higher, you should have no problem getting into your state supported school.

Definitely retake. Make sure you kill it on the next try.

Is it true that you have to wait 3 months after the last time you took the DAT to take it again? If so, that would delay your application process, correct? since all materials aren't processed until AADSAS receives your scores/transcripts?

P.S. I plan on taking my DAT in late March 2010 I have yet to practice with exams--does anyone have any recommendations for which study aids are best for being close in difficulty as the actual DAT?

Are you an african american student? hispanic student? if so, then your stats are solid.

If you are Asian or White, i think you should retake

Is that really true you think??? 18...may be enough.. depending upon applicant pool, the time you apply, and what school you apply to. but retaking wont be a bad idea however. my scores are similar but i am retaking.

Is it true that you have to wait 3 months after the last time you took the DAT to take it again? If so, that would delay your application process, correct? since all materials aren't processed until AADSAS receives your scores/transcripts?

P.S. I plan on taking my DAT in late March 2010 I have yet to practice with exams--does anyone have any recommendations for which study aids are best for being close in difficulty as the actual DAT?

I thought it was 30 days that you had to wait. check with the ada.. it links you to the dat website.