Am I doomed from ever becoming a pharmacist

Started by sammiches
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sammiches

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a music major that has changed my mind. I would enjoy music a lot more as a hobby than to major in it for a career. I was a ***** my first quarter and ended up with a B- gpa average, 2.87. I know I can do a lot better as I found all the classes very easy but my issue was turning in homework assignment and being a ***** showing up late which affected my grade a lot, I dont even wanna be in this major anymore lol. One reason, the job market and salary no matter how talented peeps are, most dont really strike it. I have a very large talent music scholarship, but just dont have the drive for this major for reasons but I will stick with it to pay for college, however I'd like to be a pharmacist like my sister.
Am I forever doomed because of my first college gpa.

Will my academic advisor deny me from taking the prereq courses to become one? They probably wont take me seriously, right? How can I make things right? Please advice! I'm getting my act together, I was in advanced science during high school and didnt have trouble understanding it. I really wanna work towards this. My sis also is a music major as well as biochem to be a pharmacist, nearly has a 4.0 g.p.a too, and is doing volunteer work. I wanna follow in her footsteps and she's the one who inspired me to be a better musician through countless hours of practice cause I used to be crappy and ended up with my college basically being paid for being a major in music. She has a large music scholarship too. I really will work at this, I just need advice. Must I be a biochem major by the way? Cant I just stick with music major, but just take the prereq classes I need. I plan on doing summer school of course, and schooling through winter break to make things a bit easier.
 
I am currently a music major that has changed my mind.

Will my academic advisor deny me from taking the prereq courses to become one? They probably wont take me seriously, right? How can I make things right? Please advice! I'm getting my act together, I was in advanced science during high school and didnt have trouble understanding it. I really wanna work towards this. My sis also is a music major as well as biochem to be a pharmacist, nearly has a 4.0 g.p.a too, and is doing volunteer work. I wanna follow in her footsteps and she's the one who inspired me to be a better musician through countless hours of practice cause I used to be crappy and ended up with my college basically being paid for being a major in music. She has a large music scholarship too. I really will work at this, I just need advice. Must I be a biochem major by the way? Cant I just stick with music major, but just take the prereq classes I need. I plan on doing summer school of course, and schooling through winter break to make things a bit easier.





You can major in underwater basket weaving, as long as long as you complete your prereqs and improve your academic record to be sufficiently above the minimum goa requirements, then you are not " doomed". 🙂🙂
 
Since you have that music scholarship I assume you have to stay a music major in order to collect on it?

You can either double major like what your sister did or stay a music major and just take the pre-requisite science classes for pharmacy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's always easier to pull up a GPA with the fewer hours that you have.

Not only that but a lot of schools like the sGPA which is only science, and then a math GPA and a cumulative and a pre-req (varies based on schools.) The benefit of being a music major with a slightly lower GPA is that you don't have a lot of sciences pulling you down so that'll go up easily. Schools also like things that are unusual in the students, a music major is a different kind of person than a science major; play that to a strength and be a personable interviewee who has something special to offer.
 
hey sam,
I was in a similar boat as you. I grew up with music being my #1 interest. I was in bands, traveled the country & became a major-label accredited music engineer/producer all before I was 23 years old. I really love & enjoy music, but I always had interest in health services. When I first got into community college I dabbled in EMS (emt/firefighter), but realized that wasnt for me either. I eventually met my wife, became more interested in settling down and discovered pharmacy.

The bad part about this was I spent so much time focusing on my music career during my 1st 2 years of college that I graduated with a 2.62 GPA for my associates degree. I entered UCF as a junior and later made my mind up on pharmacy. I was an IDS major and doing very well @ UCF (3.85 GPA), so I was offered scholarships for the IDS program. Problem was I needed science prereqs for the Pharmacy program... I chose to change my minor to chemistry & get all prereqs I could under that umbrella. This allowed me to keep my scholarships, financial aid, etc. The only 2 pre-reqs for pharmacy not covered under the chemistry minor were A&P1 & 2, which I took at the community college.

Point of my rambling: I see you in a very similar situation as I was just over 2 years ago. I love music and it is my 1st passion, but as I grew older my priorities changed and I wasnt interested in being away from home all the time and working 48 hour blocks in the studio. Just like you, I made a point to change my academic record for the better. Take it seriously from this point on and just as I am hoping, maybe the admission committees will take notice. I graduated my AA with a 2.62 . I'm graduating from UCF w/ a bachelors with a 3.9 , 2 years later. I've also made no grade less than a B on any pharmacy pre-req course, with mostly A's (which brought my 2.0 science GPA up to a 3.2)

So hit those books and stay motivated!
 
Last edited:
Okay, I don't really wanna make a new thread but here is the situation. Lets say I get a C in Gen Chem 2 but in Orgo (hypothetically) I get an A and a B. If I feel that my Gen Chem 2 is too mediocre and let's say the Pharm school look down on a C in gen chem, can I re-take the course provided that I've already completed orgo 1 and 2?
 
Okay, I don't really wanna make a new thread but here is the situation. Lets say I get a C in Gen Chem 2 but in Orgo (hypothetically) I get an A and a B. If I feel that my Gen Chem 2 is too mediocre and let's say the Pharm school look down on a C in gen chem, can I re-take the course provided that I've already completed orgo 1 and 2?

Every school that I know of will let you retake it. Depending on your school though, they might not replace your C with the new grade and just average in the new grade with the old instead. That's how pharmcas does it regardless of how your school handles it though.
 
Oh so it all depends of what Pharmacy schools policies on those types of situations. Thank you!
 
Okay, I don't really wanna make a new thread but here is the situation. Lets say I get a C in Gen Chem 2 but in Orgo (hypothetically) I get an A and a B. If I feel that my Gen Chem 2 is too mediocre and let's say the Pharm school look down on a C in gen chem, can I re-take the course provided that I've already completed orgo 1 and 2?

Hey Johnny,
as was said here, Pharmcas does not accept grade forgiveness. I had to retake Bio 1 because of a low grade. I believe I remember you saying that you're interested in UF.. they also do not accept grade forgiveness 🙁. Good luck bro.
 
Johnny, a C in Gen Chem is completely blown away by an A/B in O Chem. O Chem is far and away more complicated and the AdCom folks know that.

If you can ace even one term of O Chem, it will go a long way in looking good for you!
 
i agree with the above post, the pharmacy application process is a holistic one meaning all consideration is taken into account. bad grades here and there might not help you but you can make it up in a number of different ways, such as doing well on the chem section of the PCAT or if you're a science major, show them that you can excel in upper level science courses. there's no such thing as impossible, you just have to try for it 🙂