Am I doomed? Veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caseys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello members, I have been doing a lot of research in SDN as I am transitioning out of the Navy after 4 years and have a lot of questions I could use your help with. Here is my situation...

I will be getting out of the Navy next month and most likely returning to Texas my homestate. I will be using GI BILL and I will also qualify for HAZLEWOOD so tuition shouldn't be a huge problem. Here is my problem:

I have about 75 credit I took before the Navy which gave me an associate in Computer science. I did this with a special highschool/college program that actually gave me real credits from a community college. My GPA was only 2.65 AND I had 2-3 BAD science grades in there.... When I return to Texas as a civilian this year, I want to start fresh and finish my pre-reqs in either a community or 4 years college for two years . I am HIGHLY motivated now and want to get my courses and experience in 2 years to get accepted in a Pharmacy school. However my problem is since PharmCAS looks at overall GPA and overall science GPA, am I screwed and already working with a bad GPA? Lets say I get a 3.5 in my Pre-reqs, my GPA would probably be lowered just cause of my old college GPA correct?

I believe I am required to turn in ALL my college transcripts so not doing so is not an option......What should I do? I don't want to work my butt off for next 2 years and be judged for what I did 4 years ago...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello members, I have been doing a lot of research in SDN as I am transitioning out of the Navy after 4 years and have a lot of questions I could use your help with. Here is my situation...

I will be getting out of the Navy next month and most likely returning to Texas my homestate. I will be using GI BILL and I will also qualify for HAZLEWOOD so tuition shouldn't be a huge problem. Here is my problem:

I have about 75 credit I took before the Navy which gave me an associate in Computer science. I did this with a special highschool/college program that actually gave me real credits from a community college. My GPA was only 2.65 AND I had 2-3 BAD science grades in there.... When I return to Texas as a civilian this year, I want to start fresh and finish my pre-reqs in either a community or 4 years college for two years . I am HIGHLY motivated now and want to get my courses and experience in 2 years to get accepted in a Pharmacy school. However my problem is since PharmCAS looks at overall GPA and overall science GPA, am I screwed and already working with a bad GPA? Lets say I get a 3.5 in my Pre-reqs, my GPA would probably be lowered just cause of my old college GPA correct?

I believe I am required to turn in ALL my college transcripts so not doing so is not an option......What should I do? I don't want to work my butt off for next 2 years and be judged for what I did 4 years ago...
Well it is true that all your credits will be summed together however, this is in no way the end of the world per say. As long as you retake those bad grades (if they are prereqs) and show an upward trend. You will interview somewhere. Some schools I have heard just look at prereqs to determine acceptance. Also your pcat score can help you drastically as well. Just as long as you meet the gpa cut off and excel elsewhere in your application I dont see a problem. Good luck! Also, Thank you for your service to this country.

Reactions: 2 users
As a fellow veteran i wouldn't be to worried as long as you are truly motivated and get good grades now and explain such in personal statement and interview you will be fine

Texas loves its veterans

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with demihope, because I was in a similar situation. In one of my interviews the only LOR the gentlemen were interested in was the one from my last active duty commander. To quote them, "In the 10 years I have been doing these interviews, this is the first time I have received a letter with Department of the Air Force in the letterhead". I think you will find that most all of the admissions committees love when veterans show up in the pile. Just make the grades now, get the PCAT score, and the military service will carry you through when mentioned in your personal statement and a good LOR.

How should I get my LOR since I still have 2 years pre-reqs until I can even apply for Pharmacy school? Should I get a LOR now or keep in contacts with people and hope someone gives me a good LOR when time comes? Also I never worked with a medical officer or enlisted directly as I am a supply type, although I worked in a hospital with lot of them but worked on supply. I was stupid to not build a good relationship directly with someone there...I wasnt thinking ahead...sigh... What should I do? (I get out in 2 months, really one since terminal starts soon)

Keep in contact with those in your current chain (always good to keep them in your network) and let them know about your plan to go to pharm school. Tell them about the required LORs for the application process that you will eventually need. They won't be able to write them for you now, because they have to submit them directly to pharmcas. I would certainly plant the seed that you will probably be calling on them in a couple years when you are completing your application. Don't worry about your specialty, as I wasn't on the medical side of things either. They want to hear about the leadership skills developed, your attention to detail, and the focus/drive that the military has trained you to have. You definitely want your commander to be the person to write that stuff up because they are the one that knows and can really bring out those aforementioned qualities that will attract the committee to your application.

One more thing, quit stressing out about the process. As you said, you have two years of pre-reqs to pull your application together and tie up all the loose ends. Make sure you get the grades in the pre-req classes, get the PCAT score, and the rest will fall into place. The whole process seems very overwhelming at first, but I think most of us who have made it through will agree that it was relatively painless if you just take it one step at a time.

Thanks silent...that is exactly how I feel ..overwhelmed...Ofc its not just this, partially is because I cant decide to move to Cali with my wife or TX where I have better benefits..so we might have to leave separate....I am on a carrier/big ship and I have an officer who is my division officer but atm he is low rank...should I try to get in touch with an 0-5 or o-6? XO or CO for a ship is uncharted territory, i couldnt just walk in their office and ask for one when they don't even know me.

I don't know what the other vets on here think, but I would say the highest ranking officer in your chain who you have had a significant working relationship with. I was on the officer side, so the guy who wrote mine was an O-5. All that to say, I think what the person has to say about you is more important than their rank. If you can get your O-3 to write an outstanding LOR, I think that will certainly suffice in representing your character traits to the board. The whole idea of the LORs is to allow them to get a view of you from various settings, as they want one from your past supervisors, a current pharmacist, current or past science professors, etc... For me, I found the one from the Air Force was just icing on the cake for my application and think the content would have been just as effective if it would have come from a captain versus the lieutenant colonel who wrote it.

mine was written by an O-2 but he did hold a graduate degree

anyways you have a while before applying i would keep close to someone from the military life and look to a pharmacist and a professor in the civilian side just focus on these 2 years do well and you will be fine

in my interviews the military service really made me stand out and was told veterans were a real treat to have