Am I getting "behind"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountain Cow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my AMCAS has been ready for review for a week or so, but I probably wont have my letters or rec done by August (at the earliest).

Am I getting a bit behind since I havent even received any secondaries yet?

Is there anything I can do other than starting to write out questins that I expect to be asked on secondaries?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So my AMCAS has been ready for review for a week or so, but I probably wont have my letters or rec done by August (at the earliest).

Am I getting a bit behind since I havent even received any secondaries yet?

Is there anything I can do other than starting to write out questins that I expect to be asked on secondaries?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: Early is relative and subject to the opinion of the writer

I don't think you are behind too badly right now, but you need to get moving. There are several secondaries available already on school's websites (washU, yale, and hopkins are the three that I know of). You can fill those out without a verified primary. Do that. Next, start looking at this site for MSTP secondary essay prompts. Try to get as much done as you can while you wait for verification, especially because that could take at least another week.

Now, the LOR thing would be the most concerning to me. I'm not sure how to interpret your wording, but I think you are saying they won't be done until the end of August at the earliest. This is getting kinda late. You won't be complete at any school without these. Try sweet-talking your professors to get these in sooner.

Sorry, I wasnt clear...I estimate that my writers will send to interfolio around the beginning of august...but I might do some gentle prodding so they dont take much longer than that.

Thanks for the advice...I need to get kickin

Disclaimer: Early is relative and subject to the opinion of the writer

I don't think you are behind too badly right now, but you need to get moving. There are several secondaries available already on school's websites (washU, yale, and hopkins are the three that I know of). You can fill those out without a verified secondary. Do that. Next, start looking at this site for MSTP secondary essay prompts. Try ot get as much done as you can while you wait for verification, especially because that could take at least another week.

Now, the LOR thing would be the most concerning to me. I'm not how to interpret your wording, but I think you are saying they won't be done until the end of August at the earliest. This is getting kinda late. You won't be complete any any school without these. Try sweet-talking your professors to get these in sooner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research interests. Why this school? What fulfillment from being a physician do you expect? Diversity. Adversity.

If you can write about a paragraph to a page for each of these, your secondaries will go much much faster.

If it makes you feel any better, Mountain Cow, I seem to be on about the same schedule as you. That probably means there are others...:)

At my school (University of Pennsylvania), the Health Professions Advisory Board doesn't release our committee letters until the beginning of August anyhow, so Penn students' applications necessarily won't be complete until at least mid-August. Since Penn has a pretty good reputation for and experience with getting its students into med school, they must know what they're doing. I think it'll be just fine.

Thanks for the perspective Epigirl and Pennquaker08, after working so hard for the past few years I'm just a bit paranoid that something silly like a delayed letter will hinder my app. Best wishes to you all :luck:

At my school (University of Pennsylvania), the Health Professions Advisory Board doesn't release our committee letters until the beginning of August anyhow, so Penn students' applications necessarily won't be complete until at least mid-August. Since Penn has a pretty good reputation for and experience with getting its students into med school, they must know what they're doing. I think it'll be just fine.

all my recs were not submitted until mid-september last year, and i definitely was not behind, perhaps even early

Don't worry. While it's true that the earlier you apply, the better (up to a point), there is some some randomness in this process and "early" varies from school to school and year to year. Think of it this way, schools begin reviewing applications in late June/early July and continue until some time after the deadlines, i.e. November. Even if you get your recs in late August, you are still in the early half of the review cycle. I made the terrible mistake of sending all my primary and secondary applications on the deadline 2 years ago, but was fortunate enough to still interview with JHU. Hope that makes you feel better. :)