Am i getting into NYCOM with a 20?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Jenni

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i got a question about nycom admissions. I just sent in my aacomas and I am kind of worried since I really like nycom but the averages they show for their mcat scores is way too high for me to have a solid chance. I've got a superb everything (gpa/science gpa/EC's/recomm/awards/personal statement) but my mcat score is a 20. Realistically, what are my chances of not just an interview but actually getting accepted to nycom. If you honestly know, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

- Jennifer

Members don't see this ad.

You have an alright shot if you are a resident of NY. They interview about 450 of the 650 instate applicants and then accept about 300 of those. So if you can get an interview then you have a good shot. If you're out of state then your chances are pretty dismal. Their average MCAT is a 24. Hope all goes well and good luck.:)

Jennifer

There are far too many things that must factor in.

No one except the admissions staff at NYCOM can answer your question.

People will say what they want.

Don't get false hope and don't be easily discouraged. A 20 is low. I know few people in medical school who got a 20 on the MCAT. But it is possible.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jennifer:

I hate to be so blunt, but I think you should reconsidering taking the MCAT this April 2003. A 20 may get you into a DO school this year ( and I wish you well in this admissions process!), but it is still cutting things too thin. I had a 23Q from April 2002 (my 6 in PS was what killed it!), and alot of DO schools were not happy about it so I retook in August and brought my PS to an 8. Since then I have interviewed at several DO schools with a 25P.

GOOD LUCK!

NJDESI

Hello Jennifer, hopefully this helps. I was in the same situation as you 2 years ago. I got a 20 on the mcat and was wait listed @ NYCOM. I retook the mcat again and I, for some strange reason, did worse...a 19. However, NYCOM is granting me an interview. Keep your hopes up and be an advocate for yourself. The mcat shows nothing....trust me.;)

MCAT obviously isn't everything to NYCOM because I am a NY state resident and I have a 29Q and I haven't heard anything from them.

I'm not sure about NYCOM, but from my friend's personal experiences (many friends, as in, greater than 10), a 20 MCAT in the DO process is perfectly fine. However, if you feel the need to make yourself more competitive, then feel free to take the Kaplan MCAT course and improve your score!

Personally, I think you don't deserve to become a physician with a friggin 20 on the MCAT. I'm a current DO student who has a very intelligent group of classmates but also a couple of *****s that don't know whats going on. I know for a fact that these people barely squeaked into the school with low to mid 20's.

No wonder DO's are "looked down upon" and don't get as much "respect" as MD's. DO schools should be more strict in their application process. They shouldn't admit people with low GPA's and MCAT's just because they have "such great life experiences"

Hate to be so harsh but that's just my opinion.

to what then, do you attribute successful DO's who did a 20 or less on the MCAT?

they do exist in great numbers.

Luck is not an intelligent or acceptable answer.

Standardized test like the MCAT do not predict how good you'll do in med school. Your post tells a lot of your personality and type of physician you will be. (And don't reply and say i don't know you, b/c i don't to care to know you...)Personally, I'd hate for you to be my doctor. You may regard yourself to be intelligent as the rest of your classmates, but let me tell you this, most of the people that are doctors may have had the numbers but not the personality that makes them a good physician...You can't tell me that your experiences don't mean anything and that it was your numbers only that got you in...Life experiences are just as worthy as numbers..Its people like you who don't deserve to be in medical school

Hate to be so harsh but thats just MY opinion.

To the first post who got the 20, good luck and I'm sure you'll do just as well as this ***** if you get in...

Nortorious DOC...to be honest with you, you don't deserve to be a doctor...anybody with that kind of arrogance, and is a DO, should be looked down upon...I have a 19 and am taking 1st year med courses in a grad program and I can tell you that I am doing better than the majority of the med school class. Standardized tests show nothing about your capabilities and compassion...something you obviously lack. It takes more to be a physician than just brains. :clap:

As previous posters have noted, standardized tests such as the MCAT certainly do not always accurately reflect a students' potential for becoming a successful physician. There are too many other factors that go into becoming a doctor that are impossible to test when you are at this stage (pre-med) of your education. So, I agree that someone with a 20 MCAT can potentially be just as successful, or more so, than someone with a higher score.

However, there is also some validity to the test's correlation with preclinical academic performance during medical school. If students adopt the mentality that it is alright to "just barely get by" on the MCAT, it is more likely they will display a similar attitude in medical school. Medical school is rigorous, and a lower MCAT score may indicate a student's inability to handle the coursework necessary to succeed. Unfortunately, you will be judged by your results on other standardized tests again (COMLEX and USMLE), so like it or not they must be dealt with. So, to the original poster with a 20...good luck with your attempt at medical school, I truly wish you all the best. However, when you are accepted, be sure to strive to do even better, and do not fall prey to the "just passing" mentality.

MS-1
Midwestern University/CCOM

Originally posted by wholly
Nortorious DOC...to be honest with you, you don't deserve to be a doctor...anybody with that kind of arrogance, and is a DO, should be looked down upon...I have a 19 and am taking 1st year med courses in a grad program and I can tell you that I am doing better than the majority of the med school class. Standardized tests show nothing about your capabilities and compassion...something you obviously lack. It takes more to be a physician than just brains. :clap:

something tells me that a standardized test determines better who can be a doctor than an anonymous message board post with the name wholly.

Give me a break.

BTW, he has a point. A 19, unless under extreme distress, is a pitiful score. The national avg. of test takers is 24 (couple standard deviations up), and the avg . to matriculate to a MD school is a 30. A 19 just doesnt cut it, as a sub 3.0 doesn't cut it, and a 19 MCAT is about as good as a 2.5 GPA.

However.....With that said.....

I know peoplein med school now with sub-20 MCATs, and while they are struggling, they are doing well, and will become good docs, IMHO. I tend to believe that they are the exception, as opposed to the rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Dr.Jenni
Realistically, what are my chances of not just an interview but actually getting accepted to nycom. If you honestly know, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Jennifer, to be completely honest, I doubt many people can give you anything more than a guess about your chances. Of course, you've already applied and it's out of your hands. Without question though (and you already know this) a 20 MCAT puts you at a disadvantage.

I don't really get the MCAT-standardized-test-bashing. Admissions committees feel the MCAT is important, and that's all that really matters.

Of course, on the flip side of the coin, obviously there are plenty of people rejected at every schools with better stats than the acceptees. So there's always hope, and there's always next year. My best wishes to you in the appliaction process.

Hey dont worry im sure you will get atleast a interview at nycom, im a 4th year pre med at NYIT, and I know atleast of 2 students from NYIT who had a 20 and a 22 who got in to nycom, and there GPA's were like 3.1 -3.3. I wish you luck. I also wish I will get a interview soon at NYCOM, I ended up with a 26 on this past august MCAT and still no word. I interviewed at NJCOM, LECOM, and I have a interview at UMDNJ-RW. Come on people what are you doing??

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
something tells me that a standardized test determines better who can be a doctor than an anonymous message board post with the name wholly.

Give me a break.

BTW, he has a point. A 19, unless under extreme distress, is a pitiful score. The national avg. of test takers is 24 (couple standard deviations up), and the avg . to matriculate to a MD school is a 30. A 19 just doesnt cut it, as a sub 3.0 doesn't cut it, and a 19 MCAT is about as good as a 2.5 GPA.

However.....With that said.....

I know peoplein med school now with sub-20 MCATs, and while they are struggling, they are doing well, and will become good docs, IMHO. I tend to believe that they are the exception, as opposed to the rule.

Something tells me you are a little pissed that I got an interview at NYCOM with a 19 and you didn't. Do take your short-comings out on others who are trying to make a dream come true for themselves. No one person ever said they were the "rule." In life there are exceptions to every rule. I never said that my score wasn't pitiful, however I have been accepted to LECOM and I am going to be a doctor...even with a 19 on the mcat. What is the difference if you have a 2.5 GPA with a 30+ on the mcat or a 3.5 GPA with a 19 on the mcat? The answer is nothing. Adressing Dr. Jenni--don't lose hope. Nortorious doc and blitz are those people we don't want in the medical profession. We would rather see them doing something where their condecending attitude can be put to good use. GOOD LUCK and don't lose site of your dreams.

you might or might not. I dont have any words to tell you since Ive got a similar MCAT and doubt we got a similar gpa though.

I got no love from my state osteopathic college, but reading what everyone here has written Im still holding onto some hope that one of the other colleges I applied to will show some interest in me soon.

Originally posted by wholly
Something tells me you are a little pissed that I got an interview at NYCOM with a 19 and you didn't. Do take your short-comings out on others who are trying to make a dream come true for themselves. No one person ever said they were the "rule." In life there are exceptions to every rule. I never said that my score wasn't pitiful, however I have been accepted to LECOM and I am going to be a doctor...even with a 19 on the mcat. What is the difference if you have a 2.5 GPA with a 30+ on the mcat or a 3.5 GPA with a 19 on the mcat? The answer is nothing. Adressing Dr. Jenni--don't lose hope. Nortorious doc and blitz are those people we don't want in the medical profession. We would rather see them doing something where their condecending attitude can be put to good use. GOOD LUCK and don't lose site of your dreams.

rofl. Condescending (learn how to spell) attitude? Look in a mirror, my friend, and dont lose sight (learn how to spell) of your dreams.

I got a letter today giving me a interview finally. I have to call to schedule an appointment it says.

Originally posted by AntGod22
I got a letter today giving me a interview finally. I have to call to schedule an appointment it says.

:clap:

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
rofl. Condescending (learn how to spell) attitude? Look in a mirror, my friend, and dont lose sight (learn how to spell) of your dreams.

You got me right where it hurts...my splling es so horibal; get a life jackass

Standardized test like the MCAT do not predict how good you'll do in med school. Your post tells a lot of your personality and type of physician you will be. (And don't reply and say i don't know you, b/c i don't to care to know you...)Personally, I'd hate for you to be my doctor. You may regard yourself to be intelligent as the rest of your classmates, but let me tell you this, most of the people that are doctors may have had the numbers but not the personality that makes them a good physician...You can't tell me that your experiences don't mean anything and that it was your numbers only that got you in...Life experiences are just as worthy as numbers..Its people like you who don't deserve to be in medical school

Kiss my a$$ sweetthang... YOU DON'T KNOW ME

Nortorious DOC...to be honest with you, you don't deserve to be a doctor...anybody with that kind of arrogance, and is a DO, should be looked down upon...I have a 19 and am taking 1st year med courses in a grad program and I can tell you that I am doing better than the majority of the med school class. Standardized tests show nothing about your capabilities and compassion...something you obviously lack. It takes more to be a physician than just brains.

You got a 19???.....You're even more pathetic....That's my total on TWO sections.

The bottom line is: The MCAT is just not a stupid standardized test. It measures among other things how well you can utilize your problem solving skills in extreme pressure conditions. Now, if you're not up to par, what does that say about you? You're gonna be under a lot of pressure as a physician. If you can't do well on a stupid test in these conditions, how well are you going to solve your patient's problems in the real world?

ANSWER: Your not with a ridiculous MCAT score. And don't tell me
"well, brains don't really matter"....only stupid people make these assumptions.

Originally posted by Notorious D.O.C.
Kiss my a$$ sweetthang... YOU DON'T KNOW ME

You got a 19???.....You're even more pathetic....That's my total on TWO sections.

The bottom line is: The MCAT is just not a stupid standardized test. It measures among other things how well you can utilize your problem solving skills in extreme pressure conditions. Now, if you're not up to par, what does that say about you? You're gonna be under a lot of pressure as a physician. If you can't do well on a stupid test in these conditions, how well are you going to solve your patient's problems in the real world?

ANSWER: Your not with a ridiculous MCAT score. And don't tell me
"well, brains don't really matter"....only stupid people make these assumptions.

No one said brains did not matter dip ****. Thats great you have a 19 on just two sections. However, the reason why I am in medical school now is because I have shown that I can handle medical school. I have taken the first year classes and have have done better than a majority of the 1st year medical school class. Obviously, they must think that I am going to do fine at their school...or is that just an assumption? So does that mean I am not up to par? You are right, it has been proven that those who score an 8 or higher in the sciences normally do better than those who don't and in verbal it doesn't really matter. However, there are exceptions to every rule. You are going to find that in life. Problem solving your patients problems should be done by someone who can excel at that. And to be honest with you, I wouldn't want a doctor who couldn't pass a test doing that for me. However, would I care if they couldn't do well on the mcat or the boards? I say the boards b/c that is more indicative of the application of their knowledge. As for sweetthang, I agree with her. I would not want some cocky dingus thinking that they are god be my physician. I pray that every night people like you don't get into medical school. I also feel that the adcoms know more about who will be a better med student than some student on these message boards. They have been doing it a lot longer. To be honest with you, you don't know ****. I know that I can give dr. jenni hope b/c I have a 19 w/ an acceptance and another interview. And if you look at these message boards you will see many students who have a 3.5 gpa and a 29 on the mcat who haven't heard from NYCOM...guess what dingus, I have. By the way, God loves you...don't be upset at others accomplishments.

Wholly,

I am confused? Why have you taken the 1st year medical classes as a grad student and then say that you have been accepted and have another interview as if that was recent. Are you already in med school?? Or is this one of the programs like they have at Nova for students with low MCAT's. At Nova these students take the 1st year classes as a graduate program and are guaranteed admission if they score at least a B. Then they repeat the classes the next year. Essentially a five year medical school. Just curious.

Hey wholly, it seems to me that you want to be a physician for all the wrong reasons. I got you all figured out biatch.

Your either one of two things:
1. Your mommy or daddy are physicians and you have no desire to become a doctor but is being forced to become one.

2. You screwed around in undergrad...didn't learn any bio, chem, or physics and got an embarrassing MCAT score even with a more embarrassing GPA. You basically want to be a osteopathic physician for the wrong reason.......$$$$$$.

I think #2 describes your pathetic self perfectly.:laugh:

uhh not to put myself in the cross-hairs or anything, but it seems like the convo has turned personal (ya think?). Maybe PM would be a better way to work out these issues as to avoid people making others and themselves look like anger-management case studies...

My God, Notorious, are you 12 years old? You're kidding, right? You're not really a medical student, are you? I simply cannot conceive that such a mal-adjusted person could possibly want to be a physician. What's up with this chip on your shoulder? Why so unpleasant? You can't possibly have this amount of passion for people with low MCAT's, not when you have classes to study for...right?

To the original poster: I don't think any of us knows for certain what is a hard and fast accecptable MCAT score. You're always going to hear that annecdote about the guy with a 19 that got in. The proof is in the process, I suppose. I wish you luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

And Notorious, please don't ever see patients. Since you're such an intellectual giant perhaps a PhD program would better serve your staggering intellectual prowess.

To the original poster: DO NOT GIVE UP!! I personally know someone who got into NYCOM with an 18 (5,7,6)- I am positive of this. He is now a 2nd year there and has not had a problem. Also, a lot of the other schools are forgiving of less-than-stellar MCAT scores, as well. One girl I took pre-reqs with had some family problems and scored only a 17 on the MCAT because she messed up the verbal section badly. She got into OSU and will be starting in August.

yea, if you can make it with a 20, you can make it anywhere. haha. olaaa, new york, new york.

seriously, 99.99% people with a 20 can't make it anywhere. i don't work for med. school admissions, but it is just a common sense.

and no need to post them on here, just call those admission offices and ask them directly. ask them if you can make it with a 20.

To the original poster:

I know what you are going through because I too have a low MCAT score. But even with my 19 I have gotten 3 interviews so far and I am awaiting a decision.

Perhaps MCAT scores can predict medical school performance but the same thing was said about the SAT's. You never know, but it depends on each individual. I didn't do well on the SAT but still have done very well in college, so it is possible to succeed even if you have a low MCAT. Besides, I know a few people with low scores who are right now incredible doctors.

So just keep the faith since you never know what could happen. And if you can't get in this year, then you can always retake the test (which I may consider doing just in case I don't get in).

Good Luck!

yea, did you have a broken family, are you the minority among the minorities, are you the only one who has 19 in the entire interviewees?

is this just a fable to comfort the broken heart?

Originally posted by Albah
To the original poster:

I know what you are going through because I too have a low MCAT score. But even with my 19 I have gotten 3 interviews so far and I am awaiting a decision.

Perhaps MCAT scores can predict medical school performance but the same thing was said about the SAT's. You never know, but it depends on each individual. I didn't do well on the SAT but still have done very well in college, so it is possible to succeed even if you have a low MCAT. Besides, I know a few people with low scores who are right now incredible doctors.

So just keep the faith since you never know what could happen. And if you can't get in this year, then you can always retake the test (which I may consider doing just in case I don't get in).

Good Luck!

is this just a fable to comfort the broken heart? [/B]

youngjock , i would really appreciate it if you could stop putting people down.......just ignore the troll everyone...and have a great day!

Wow, this post has gotten really ugly...and I agree, you should send your personal comments via e-mail or pm the person.

As for the original poster, osteopathic schools do tend to look more at the whole applicant, not just a particular part of their application. And to reiterate what everyone else has said, it all depends on the admission committee and how they feel that day. A lot of this whole process is luck, how fast you get your application in, how fast they review it, what their first impression is of you on paper. So keep your head up and good luck. And it seems that you're determined enough that if you don't get in...you can easily get in with another try. Call the admissions office and ask where your file was weak...and work on it.

Lastly, I was quite shocked to read what a lot of people have posted on here. You know, it's not really all intellect that makes a good doctor. There are so many people in this world that are smart enough to be physicians...but that will not get you very far. When patients come to you, they're at their most vulnerable state, and compassion and empathy is what will really matter. After reading some of these posts, I'm ashamed to have you in the same ranks as other medical students. Maybe you're not in it for the right reasons, cause I will never bring myself or my family members to you with that type of attitude...no matter how intelligent of a physician you are or become.

Dr.Jenni:

You probably won't be offered a spot at any U.S. Med. School entering class with a combined score of "20" on the MCAT; and you really shouldn't. I see several supportive posts presenting the argument that there are good applicants with your score: your question alone worries people about your aptitude/dedication towards a medical career. Your score would contribute to lowering the matriculant MCAT score of your entering class if you were lucky enough to gain admission.

This post is not meant to be an assault on your character; I don't know you. I'm trying to render sound advice.

Good luck.

P.S. Retaking the MCAT is the wisest option. A year before Med. School used to pursue other academic interests and sharpen your preparation for the MCAT may prove to be fulfilling.

D. Jenni,
I was just accepted into PCOM, so it can be done! ;)

Good Luck!

Being from NYCOM I have a bit of a clue what they are looking for. To be honest I think that they look at the whole package. If you have a weak area your strong areas get a lot more weight. The MCAT avarage fluctuates between a 24 and a 26. So yes, your MCAT is a bit low but if your other areas are VERY strong it may be possible. They do like to see development outside of academia- hence sometimes a year in the real world looks good- I have a feeling that some of those that never interviewed lacked in such

best of luck :D

yes, it is possible. you can apply every single medical schools in the us, and they will be happy to get your secondary money for nothing.

if you are not a ******, if you are not a minority among the minorities, you are just a joke of your own.

if there are enough med. schools to go around, then sure, you can get in a med. school. but the problem is that there are lots of who have much better scores than yours who can't get in any med. school, so please be real to yourself.

and i am just being realistic here. people. you can say all those rosy words to her, but you can't decide her future, because you don't work in the admission offices.

Just an observation:

Notorious posted something that made some people pretty defensive. Notorious strongly believes in what he posted. What he posted DOES make sense when you examine what standardized tests are really supposed to test - what you want them to. The MCAT is one finely tuned standardized test, I might add. I realize that there have been and will be many more fine docs out there who achieved really low scores on the MCAT (20 or so). That is amazing! On the other hand, I share Notorious' pain in the sense that we all took other standardized tests growing up, and in those cases - there were cut-off lines for scholarships, grants, and admissions to undergraduate colleges and universities. Scoring well really meant something.

It's hard for me to believe that out of all the great people that apply to medical school, adcoms would have to choose people who performed well below average on the MCAT. After the MD schools scoop up all the highest performers, you can't tell me there aren't plenty of compassionate people out there with 28's, 29's etc. who would love to go to med. school. Why osteopathic adcoms feel like they have to choose some people with really low scores confounds me. I would truly like to know the answer. By the way, don't give me the "extra curricular" thing or the "field experience" thing. Where I went to undergrad, everybody (regardless of MCAT scores) had good experiences, referrences, etc. That's just expected these days.

Lastly, sorry for rambling.

Just one more point I forgot to make. For those who do score low on the MCAT, osteopathic training becomes a necessity - not an alternative. That just doesn't seem quite right to me - seeing is that many DO's try hard to enter allopathic residencies and/or become "accepted by MD's."

You have to admit that there are people who do well on the MCAT and who WANT to go to a D.O. school. Sure there are plenty who desire allopathic first, but isnt that normal. What do you expect from these people. They are only human and they want what will be best for them.

There are a few people at my school (LECOM) with MCAT's around 20......It can happen.....That being said, I'm a NY resident who had a 3.5 (relatively crappy science grades, though) and a 28, and I didn't even get an interview at NYCOM....Don't give up, though...Good luck :)