Am I making a mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strictlyfmg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
asdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First of all no one can make this decision for you, you've got to really think about what YOU want in your career. If you are already having these thoughts then maybe see if you can defer the start of the program and do some shadowing of PTs and see if it actually interests you like you say it does when you just see PTs, also use that time to really decide what you want in your life (in the end taking a little bit of time off is better than just spending money to spend money because you don't know what you want to do). Also you're gonna need a bachelors anyways to get in to PT school and if you're already on your way towards one I would just stick with that, a bonus with nursing programs is that they will knock out if not all but most of your PT pre-recs that would be nice if you ended up going in the PT direction

Agree with above, just go for your bachelors in nursing since you need a degree anyway to apply to PT school. Make sure to finish the PT pre reqs too (possibly use the summers for those few extra classes). Then when you graduate, you will have tons of options....you can work for a few years or go right ahead with PT grad school application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above, just go for your bachelors in nursing since you need a degree anyway to apply to PT school. Make sure to finish the PT pre reqs too (possibly use the summers for those few extra classes). Then when you graduate, you will have tons of options....you can work for a few years or go right ahead with PT grad school application.

Thank you so much for your response and opinion. Greatly appreciated. I have just never really been exposed to the health field as much as I am now, sort of a late bloomer I guess you could say. Thanks again!

First of all no one can make this decision for you, you've got to really think about what YOU want in your career. If you are already having these thoughts then maybe see if you can defer the start of the program and do some shadowing of PTs and see if it actually interests you like you say it does when you just see PTs, also use that time to really decide what you want in your life (in the end taking a little bit of time off is better than just spending money to spend money because you don't know what you want to do). Also you're gonna need a bachelors anyways to get in to PT school and if you're already on your way towards one I would just stick with that, a bonus with nursing programs is that they will knock out if not all but most of your PT pre-recs that would be nice if you ended up going in the PT direction

I agree very much with you. It is challenging to find physical therapists around here to shadow! Do you have any advice on that part? I'm too much in the nursing department that I don't get a chance to even talk to the PTs.

If you just call up some outpatient clinics and say you are a pre-PT student trying to accumulate observation hours somebody is eventually going to let you come in. Hospitals usually have a formal process of some kind in which you have to apply for an observation experience or go through some kind of coordinator. That can be a long and painful process but if you persist and jump through enough hoops eventually you'll get set up. You could also try cold calling some SNF's.

There's not really any particular trick to it. It's just what your own common sense would tell you to do.

I agree very much with you. It is challenging to find physical therapists around here to shadow! Do you have any advice on that part? I'm too much in the nursing department that I don't get a chance to even talk to the PTs.

If you just call up some outpatient clinics and say you are a pre-PT student trying to accumulate observation hours somebody is eventually going to let you come in. Hospitals usually have a formal process of some kind in which you have to apply for an observation experience or go through some kind of coordinator. That can be a long and painful process but if you persist and jump through enough hoops eventually you'll get set up. You could also try cold calling some SNF's.

There's not really any particular trick to it. It's just what your own common sense would tell you to do.

I agree with what knj27 said, just start calling/emailing around to clinics or hospitals in the area. Do a quick google search and you should find a bunch in the area.

best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user