Am I missing something or is there really no break at UTSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an incoming student at UT San Antonio dental school.
I was just looking at our calendar and I am seeing that there is 2 weeks vacation in december, but other than that, it is just 3~4 days a couple times and a few one-day-long vacations.

Is this real or am I dreaming? lol

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I was just looking at our calendar and I am seeing that there is 2 weeks vacation in december, but other than that, it is just 3~4 days a couple times and a few one-day-long vacations.

Kind of like a job in the real world. Welcome to adulthood! Just wait until you start paying taxes, then the real fun will begin.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

This is true. Good luck!

This is true. Good luck!

Is there anything good about this? I heard Houston has three 2-wks vacations and some other schools have even a couple months. Would we be learning more and/or at a slower paced than them??

Kind of like a job in the real world. Welcome to adulthood! Just wait until you start paying taxes, then the real fun will begin.

Big Hoss

Is there anything good about this? I heard Houston has three 2-wks vacations and some other schools have even a couple months. Would we be learning more and/or at a slower paced than them??

This school can be described by a lot of words but slow is not one of them. You'll always have something due, or a quiz or an exam to study for. I'm not going to say anything about other schools because I've only been to one, but this school has a reputation for a reason. UT Health is not really interested in vacation time. If it were me, I'd hate to have multiple vacations, so many requirements in clinic demand constant attention and work. You're going to dental school to treat a person in real life, you need to get the most out of your time IN school.

This school can be described by a lot of words but slow is not one of them. You'll always have something due, or a quiz or an exam to study for. I'm not going to say anything about other schools because I've only been to one, but this school has a reputation for a reason. UT Health is not really interested in vacation time. If it were me, I'd hate to have multiple vacations, so many requirements in clinic demand constant attention and work. You're going to dental school to treat a person in real life, you need to get the most out of your time IN school.
Meh. All I know is I am pumped for my spring break vacation to the islands of SE Asia in two weeks because I definitely need a break.

Reactions: 4 users
Meh. All I know is I am pumped for my spring break vacation to the islands of SE Asia in two weeks because I definitely need a break.

I would go insane without breaks for so many reasons. It's one thing to not take breaks out in practice, but school gets real old real quick. I've never felt like it disrupted from getting things done in clinic, if anything it reenergizes me when I come back and I get more done.

Reactions: 3 users
UT Health is freakin' crazy on the didactics. It's stupid how much they want us to learn and so much of it is pointless.

New curriculum has apparently fixed that, so I'd be grateful that you are coming in now. 2 tests + practicals + quizzes every week gets old real dang fast and don't even get me started on gen path/oral path.

Reactions: 1 user
To be fair at UIC all our breaks are 1 week maximum (except Christmas break which is two weeks).. It sucks

Hi all,

Sounds about right, but I believe we get a little longer break in the summer months.
Curious where you are seeing this schedule? I know summers are short and we have selectives we can pick from! Also, they said that we have Friday afternoons off! Who doesn’t love that??? lol

Longhorns or road runners? Anyone seen anything on a background check yet?

Attachments

• 1DBB2C4F-1C88-4287-BDC4-07FBC9F7BE4E.png
    1DBB2C4F-1C88-4287-BDC4-07FBC9F7BE4E.png
    208.3 KB · Views: 115
Hi all,

-2 weeks in December every year
-about a month and a half in between DS1 and DS2 in the summer, however, you are required to do "summer selectives" so it really ends up being around 3 weeks of total summer vacation in btw this transition btw DS1 and DS2
-btw DS2 to DS3 summer, also a month and a half, however again you have to take selectives and you also have to study for boards, so yeah it comes out to about about a week of total summer vacation.
-btw DS3 to DS4, more of the same, rotations, etc.
-in conclusion, you really never get break that lasts longer than the 2 week vacation for Christmas and New Years in December. For 4 years. And yes it sucks. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Hope that helps :)