Am I missing something? / Private tuition...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just interviewed today at Case Western, a private medical school in Ohio. I liked the school a lot, and it moved back to my second choice...

... but the tuition alone is over $36,000! Now, the part that confuses me is the average indebtness of their graduates. It is right around the same as my state schools (Michigan schools, around $120,000), yet their scholarships that they told us about didn't seem like they could make up for the difference in cost; what am I missing here????

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of private schools (especially those in the top 25) have large endowments and the like. This means they have more money togive out in grant money for those that are financially needy. On the other hand, most state schools have their merit scholarships, and thats it. So it can appear to be similar.

I'm pretty sure it's also cheaper to live in Cleveland than in Ann Arbor.

Members don't see this ad :)
The living expenses are not as significant as the differences in tution! Yes Cleveland is cheaper, but not a hell of a lot... plus around the white coat ghetto in ann arbor, housing is fairly priced.

What is need based on for this grant money? My parents are wealthy, but that doesn't mean I am. I am paying for my med education, not them!

You also have to figure in the fact that a student from a wealthier family might attend a private school over a state school, and that their parents might pay the entire bill. Hence, those students wouldn't have any debt when they graduate.

Case is known to give a lot of money to students! Fill out their financial aid forms and you maybe surprised.