Am I missing something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KinesStudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So overtime someone asks me my plans for the future and I bring up Doctor/Med school etc they always retract backwards and warn me of the cost of med school. Like I don't already know? I understand their motifs but I probably know more about the costs than they do right? At least I hope so.

So my question is: Am I missing something?

I mean lets go for a median value and say med school costs you 225k.

Isn't a median salary range for physicians around the mid 100's. Some specialties are lower and some are drastically higher.

So....with that large of an income can't you just pay it back after some time of buckling down?

Why is this such an incredible hurdle? Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad.

So overtime someone asks me my plans for the future and I bring up Doctor/Med school etc they always retract backwards and warn me of the cost of med school. Like I don't already know? I understand their motifs but I probably know more about the costs than they do right? At least I hope so.

Isn't a median salary range for physicians around the mid 100's. Some specialties are lower and some are drastically higher.

So....with that large of an income can't you just pay it back after some time of buckling down?

Hmm.... Perhaps a soul? LOL JK.

Except for the experience as a med student, resident, or physician. No you aren't missing anything.

Last edited:
You have to take into account multiple factors. The costs of a family, providing for yourself and them, trying to save, taxes, malpractice and paying back debt all take a huge toll. It's not that easy OP. Next time someone asks you though, say you don't care and you're not motivated by the money. That'll shut em up.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think the figure you mention of 200+k is reasonable for the cost of med school. Your friends may be alluding to the perception that physician compensation may decrease in the future with the current changes going on. As a physician, you are unlikely to ever be poor, but the golden years of compensation are long gone. By the time you finish residency, you may have many more expenses (home, family, etc.). This is an interesting article about physician compensaton.

Just like you shouldn't go into medicine for the perceived high income, I wouldn't avoid it for the very real high cost. I would just be aware of it.

You guys are legit.

2 legit 2 quit

463c4aa4-b5cc-3f3b.jpg