Am I normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlfonsTheGuru

Surgeons aren't what they used to be.
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Study-wise, am I normal? I seem to lose my somewhat calm demeanor once I sit down and begin to study. I will feel the urge to get up and do so while I explain concepts to myself using hand motions walking around. I will repeat definitions for vocabulary words over and over again. I am unable to stay calm and relaxed while studying.

I learn, but it is not a pleasant way to learn.

I feel a sense of heat over my face and I simply want to begin to do other more enjoyable activities. It is beginning to become an issue. Is this just my style if you will, is something wrong, do any of you experience something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Visit your academic success center for help. :D

No, I do not experience sympathetic arousal when studying. n=1

Reactions: 1 user
Study-wise, am I normal? I seem to lose my somewhat calm demeanor once I sit down and begin to study. I will feel the urge to get up and do so while I explain concepts to myself using hand motions walking around. I will repeat definitions for vocabulary words over and over again. I am unable to stay calm and relaxed while studying.

I learn, but it is not a pleasant way to learn.

I feel a sense of heat over my face and I simply want to begin to do other more enjoyable activities. It is beginning to become an issue. Is this just my style if you will, is something wrong, do any of you experience something similar?

Do you find yourself responding like this in any situations other than studying?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't attend a university.

In the past, yes, but my anxiety disorder is in remission. I've only been responding to situations in this manner while I am studying.

At face value it sounds like some form of anxiety. I'm glad your disorder is in remission, but the physiological response you're having seems related to worry/stress. Maybe you could try doing some heavy exercise activities prior to studying to work out some energy. This might help you hone in a little bit more.

Also, it's been shown that having multiple sensory inputs when studying can help info retention. So while this style may be unpleasant, you may actually be learning better by moving around and saying the vocab words out loud, etc.

Reactions: 1 users