Am I on the right path? now a bit worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

eccles1214

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I just started in a second bachelor's degree program at a state college, studying biology. I chose to go this route because being an undergrad again offered some advantages for research work, which I sorely lack. I have plenty of volunteer and work experience in medicine.

But I keep seeing references here to recommendations on formal post-baccs. I was accepted to a formal post-bacc, but decided not to go because my graduate status (or rather non-undergraduate status) would prevent me from pursuing certain other opportunities that I never took advantage of when in my first undergrad (I was not a science major at the time, so I was not qualified.)

Now I'm worried that perhaps I have made a mistake. Should I go with a nationally-known formal post-bacc? It is perhaps more rigorous than where I am going now, although I don't really know.

I would like to go to a top 10 medical school, and through mdapplicants.com, they seem to prefer students from more top tier undergrad institutions. Any feedback on this?

For the record: my BCPM GPA is 3.11 (includes 2 science classes here, plus my 3.00 former BCPM GPA), and my overall GPA is 3.54.
 
You seem to be on the right track. Honestly, I think the key is to raise that GPA, then nail the MCAT.