Am I on the right path? now a bit worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eccles1214

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just started in a second bachelor's degree program at a state college, studying biology. I chose to go this route because being an undergrad again offered some advantages for research work, which I sorely lack. I have plenty of volunteer and work experience in medicine.

But I keep seeing references here to recommendations on formal post-baccs. I was accepted to a formal post-bacc, but decided not to go because my graduate status (or rather non-undergraduate status) would prevent me from pursuing certain other opportunities that I never took advantage of when in my first undergrad (I was not a science major at the time, so I was not qualified.)

Now I'm worried that perhaps I have made a mistake. Should I go with a nationally-known formal post-bacc? It is perhaps more rigorous than where I am going now, although I don't really know.

I would like to go to a top 10 medical school, and through mdapplicants.com, they seem to prefer students from more top tier undergrad institutions. Any feedback on this?

For the record: my BCPM GPA is 3.11 (includes 2 science classes here, plus my 3.00 former BCPM GPA), and my overall GPA is 3.54.

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to be on the right track. Honestly, I think the key is to raise that GPA, then nail the MCAT.