Am I on the right track?

Started by aven135
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aven135

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a second semester sophomore student with a cumulative GPA of 3.285 and a science GPA of 3.008 (including my grades in general chem 1 + 2, Bio 1 + 2, chem lab, bio lab, and Orgo 1 and lab, cell bio, and calculus). I am getting A-/A's in most of my core curriculum classes which is helping bring up my cGPA, but I am worried about my science GPA. Problem is, I got a C+ in general chemistry second semester and B- in organic chemistry this past semester. All the rest have been B/B+s. Right now, I am pretty much a straight B+/B science student omitting the C+ and B- outliers in those two classes. I also have worked as a chiropractic aide, shadowed two physical therapists, and have been working as a student athletic trainer for the football team at my school since September. What can I do to make myself a more competitive applicant in the future if my grades aren't good enough yet?

Should I realistically be thinking about pursuing the MD route right now or based on my grades, do you think I would have a better chance with physical therapy? I have always been really interested in physical therapy, but I feel like I want to do something more and become a doctor or even a DO, though I feel like I am primarily interested in the rehabilitative side of medicine.

If someone could please tell me what they think of my GPA right now as well as whether or not it sounds feasible for me to pursue the doctor route or if I should be more focused on doing my prereq's for PT school instead, please let me know. (If PT, what are the prereq's for PT school?)
 
Getting an MD doesn't mean you'll be "doing more" than being a PT. They arent very comparable. They both "do a lot". Both are very competitive to get into. Choose the one you'd be more interested in.

There are MD schools that you can get into if you increase your prereqs GPA a bit by retaking classes. Same with PT.

Do more observation in both fields to help you decide. Retake science classes with less than a B/B+. Do well on the MCAT or GRE.

I'm starting PT school next fall, and from my understanding, MD school is both harder and longer. So PT might be more realistic.

Also consider DO. DO are physicians and have a lot of knowledge in musculoskeletal like PTs. PT MD DO degrees are all challenging though so choose what you like best.
 
I am currently a second semester sophomore student with a cumulative GPA of 3.285 and a science GPA of 3.008 (including my grades in general chem 1 + 2, Bio 1 + 2, chem lab, bio lab, and Orgo 1 and lab, cell bio, and calculus). I am getting A-/A's in most of my core curriculum classes which is helping bring up my cGPA, but I am worried about my science GPA. Problem is, I got a C+ in general chemistry second semester and B- in organic chemistry this past semester. All the rest have been B/B+s. Right now, I am pretty much a straight B+/B science student omitting the C+ and B- outliers in those two classes. I also have worked as a chiropractic aide, shadowed two physical therapists, and have been working as a student athletic trainer for the football team at my school since September. What can I do to make myself a more competitive applicant in the future if my grades aren't good enough yet?

Should I realistically be thinking about pursuing the MD route right now or based on my grades, do you think I would have a better chance with physical therapy? I have always been really interested in physical therapy, but I feel like I want to do something more and become a doctor or even a DO, though I feel like I am primarily interested in the rehabilitative side of medicine.

If someone could please tell me what they think of my GPA right now as well as whether or not it sounds feasible for me to pursue the doctor route or if I should be more focused on doing my prereq's for PT school instead, please let me know. (If PT, what are the prereq's for PT school?)


If you want to do any of them, you'll need to bring a better GPA to the table. You can get in to PT school with those stats, but it will be really hard.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a second semester sophomore student with a cumulative GPA of 3.285 and a science GPA of 3.008 (including my grades in general chem 1 + 2, Bio 1 + 2, chem lab, bio lab, and Orgo 1 and lab, cell bio, and calculus). I am getting A-/A's in most of my core curriculum classes which is helping bring up my cGPA, but I am worried about my science GPA. Problem is, I got a C+ in general chemistry second semester and B- in organic chemistry this past semester. All the rest have been B/B+s. Right now, I am pretty much a straight B+/B science student omitting the C+ and B- outliers in those two classes. I also have worked as a chiropractic aide, shadowed two physical therapists, and have been working as a student athletic trainer for the football team at my school since September. What can I do to make myself a more competitive applicant in the future if my grades aren't good enough yet?

Should I realistically be thinking about pursuing the MD route right now or based on my grades, do you think I would have a better chance with physical therapy? I have always been really interested in physical therapy, but I feel like I want to do something more and become a doctor or even a DO, though I feel like I am primarily interested in the rehabilitative side of medicine.

If someone could please tell me what they think of my GPA right now as well as whether or not it sounds feasible for me to pursue the doctor route or if I should be more focused on doing my prereq's for PT school instead, please let me know. (If PT, what are the prereq's for PT school?)

Prerequisites depend on the school, look at the programs you're interested online and you can find your answer to that question. Either way, you do need to bring up your GPA, because right now for either your grades would most likely be an issue. You might consider retaking some of your C's etc. To make yourself a more competitive applicant get lots of shadowing hours in VARIOUS settings, get great recommendations from professors and PTs, and work really hard to knock the GRE out of the water.
 
For either PT or MD you will need to start doing some retakes on your pre reqs to improve your GPA. Getting a few Bs is ok, all Bs isn't. You will want to shoot for at least a 3.4 average GPA on this science classes (pre req GPA) to be competitive.