Am I prepared for child boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StayOnTop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doing Board Vitals over and over again. Currently at 82% correct, with around 50th percentile. Anyone know if this is a good indicator for passing?

Members don't see this ad.

82 percent should be good I think. I was getting 70 percent but failed

82 percent should be good I think. I was getting 70 percent but failed
If you don't mind my asking, what do you think contributed to your not passing, and what advice would you give to a person taking the CAP boards for the first time? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're probably good if you don't have crippling test anxiety.

People failed the step exams, USMLE exams, nbme exams and board exams. Not all have crippling anxiety as they had to take many tests to even get to those points.
I don't disagree with you, but that's another point than what I was trying to make. I'm not saying anything about people who failed those other exams nor am I saying that those who failed those exams had crippling test anxiety. I'm saying that OP scoring 82% correct with 50th percentile on Board Vitals is likely a good indicator that they will do fine on the test based on that one factor alone, but that's not the only factor involved in passing the child boards.

I did my recert 2 years ago and used old child PRITE exams. There were LOTS of questions directly from them and they were from 2000-2001.

My initial C/A board cert exam was in 2002 so I was in-person for written test day 1, one video patient and one live patient on day 2. The written exam was WAY more difficult than the general psych written one was. The video was very hard because you were stuck with very limited info. The live patient exam was at a RTF for make sex offenders and was only mildly difficult since I had studied this in depth already. I think exams are now very different so not sure if this helps at all.

I do the combined general and C/A recert exams each time now. The first time was super easy, 200 questions and I had no doubts about easily passing. The second time was VERY hard for me on the general psyc questions and very easy for C/A. I was not sure if I passed or not as I walked out. I used old notes, PRITE tests, the Clinical Neurology for Psychiatrists book, and the Handbook of Psychiatric Drug Therapy (Arana) book to study. I have never failed any of the cert exams and was about average in my scores on the USMLE step exams if that helps.