Failed child boards, now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Voxylife

Reaction score
I'm board certified for general psychiatry, but just got my results for child boards and failed. Not distraught, but not sure what this means practically for my career. I see child patients regularly. Frankly, I didn't take the test seriously. No excuses. I'm planning on taking it again next year. (any recommendations? I used BTB and Spiegel qbanks, and did well on them, but didn't find the real thing to be all that similar). My contract with insurers when I signed it required that I be board certified within a few years, which my general psychiatry certification qualifies me for, I guess. No one at my job has asked. I'm thinking of using psychgenius and actually studying. Anyone been in similar situation? II guess I'm just trying to reduce my anxiety about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Insurers just care that you're board certified in something. Your general board certification is fine, they won't care.
If you failed it, just retake it again next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm board certified for general psychiatry, but just got my results for child boards and failed. Not distraught, but not sure what this means practically for my career. I see child patients regularly. Frankly, I didn't take the test seriously. No excuses. I'm planning on taking it again next year. (any recommendations? I used BTB and Spiegel qbanks, and did well on them, but didn't find the real thing to be all that similar). My contract with insurers when I signed it required that I be board certified within a few years, which my general psychiatry certification qualifies me for, I guess. No one at my job has asked. I'm thinking of using psychgenius and actually studying. Anyone been in similar situation? II guess I'm just trying to reduce my anxiety about it.
So Spiegel + general knowledge plus memorizing a few things cold should get you there. Its the last point that most people don't realize as it is possibly more important for child boards than adult boards. Memorize stages of development (Erickson, Freud, Mahler, Piaget, Kohlberg, Tanner). Memorize the functions of psychometric tests (WISC, WAIS, Vineland, ADOS, ADIS etc.). Memorize outcomes data on outcomes for adopted children (kinship placement vs out of home placement vs staying with siblings etc). If you have that at your fingertips it can really help.

Reactions: 1 user

BTB and Spiegel qbanks were not great/representative of the test. Psych Genius was also not helpful for me. The best resource I used for the CAP boards was Board Vitals.

One less piece of paper you have to find a frame for.

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't be quite so flippant as some posters here but this is largely a non-issue if you take and pass it next year. If you know that you have an extra gear to kick into and expect to pass it, just save some PTO for this and maybe start small amounts of daily/weekly studying months in advance to make sure you pass.

I never speak about it, but I failed Step 1 the first time and (thankfully) matched a good psychiatry program because psychiatry was less competitive when I applied (I'd be 100% screwed in the current environment). Outside of an insane amount of anxiety at the time, it has had zero impact on my career. I suspect you will feel the same way about this in 5 years.

What's the big deal about not passing your child boards?
I wouldn't be quite so flippant as some posters here but this is largely a non-issue if you take and pass it next year. If you know that you have an extra gear to kick into and expect to pass it, just save some PTO for this and maybe start small amounts of daily/weekly studying months in advance to make sure you pass.

I never speak about it, but I failed Step 1 the first time and (thankfully) matched a good psychiatry program because psychiatry was less competitive when I applied (I'd be 100% screwed in the current environment). Outside of an insane amount of anxiety at the time, it has had zero impact on my career. I suspect you will feel the same way about this in 5 years.

That quote specifically mentions why failing it once is not a big deal. Taking the fellowship for 2 years and not passing it at all would be a pretty disappointing outcome, presumably because this person would want to see kids and most employed CAP jobs require BC/BE.

NPs and PAs can see kids without board certification. Don’t see why we can’t as well.

Reactions: 1 users
NPs and PAs can see kids without board certification. Don’t see why we can’t as well.
NPs and PAs can see kids without going through medical school. Trying to compare just isn't helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Study old Child PRITE exams if you can find them. I saw at least 10 questions directly from my old ones (1990's) when I recertified a year ago.

To be clear, because the OP is already board certified him getting an additional board will not change his life.

Hospitals and clinics may require it, but typically they'll take you if you're board eligible which since OP sat for the exam, I'm assuming that's not an issue. Insurance reimbursement can be higher for a second board certification as you have more negotiating power although this is not the case with every insurance company. If you treat kids and get sued, it doesn't look good in the court to not be board certified.

You also have a certain number of years to pass it after finishing fellowship otherwise you can't sit for the exam anymore.