Am I ready for PAT section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

power5643

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took 7 exams from CDP so far (21,20,18,21,24,22,22)
I feel like some CDP cube counting models have places that you cannot even determine whether cube is there or not..

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like some CDP cube counting models have places that you cannot even determine whether cube is there or not..

The real PAT doesn't have the illusion type for cube counting, so don't worry about it. You're good to go, but I would highly suggest you to use either topscore or achiever pat, their key hole/cube looks a lot more like the actual PAT than CDP.

did you time yourself on all of these CDP tests? I am amazed that you got 21 on the very first one. was it the first time you encountered PAT? how did you get such high scores on the first two tests? I am struggling getting over 16 on the first three :(

did you time yourself on all of these CDP tests? I am amazed that you got 21 on the very first one. was it the first time you encountered PAT? how did you get such high scores on the first two tests? I am struggling getting over 16 on the first three :(

I got a 20 for the first one and 18 and 16 later, -.- looks like my perceptual ability turned off after that :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I used the normal time 60 minutes. I always feel like I will get like 18 or 17 but score ends up to be above 20 haha.

Eugenigar - I think CDP's keyhole are very easy and you probably agree to that. For the angle you just have to get used to this section, there is no other easy way. I look at the answer choices to eliminate obvious answers. Hole punching section, I usually draw 4x4 table and start filling in the dots as you solve the problem backwards. Cube counting is probably the easiest section, you just write down the numbers of each cube starting from the first floor and go up. Pattern folding is section that I am having trouble as well. I usually only get like 10/15.

If those are your scores for CDP timed then you are in great shape! I'd recommend Achiever though, since the Keyholes on Achiever are must more representative of the real thing as opposed to CDP, which are actually much easier and don't require familiarity with proportions. But cube counting is much harder on CDP along with angle ranking. Also, pattern folding is on the easier side for CDP as well, Achiever is MUCH harder and will prepare you well for the real thing.

As for those who have troubel scoring above 15 or 16, I remember I scored a 15 on my very first one, untimed. You can imagine how frustrating that was. Anyways, I didn't let the scores get to me and just used the first 3 tests as my introduction to how to do PAT, and then once I got the basic technique for each section down, I started to cut down the time. I went from 120 min to 90, then to 80, and 70, and finally 60. My scores remained constant at 21 for all those tests, even with the shortening of the time. The remaining tests I did at 60 min and usually got a 22 or a 21. For me, the hardest thing to learn was TFE, but with enough practice, it will finally click and you will be able to answer those problems with minimal time. There's no way to really rush through PAT, it takes time and patience, but can have a good payoff if you put the work into it.