Medical Am I ready to apply to SMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

I've posted here before, but I'll reintroduce myself. I’m a non-trad reinventor with a very low gpa from undergrad (2.6 cgpa, 2.4 sgpa). Taking @Goro's reinvention advice, I’ve been doing a DIY post-bac to re-take past failing classes, and am hoping to apply to an SMP in 2021.

Most SMPs state that they accept applications up through May/June, so I was expecting to have until then to apply next year. But, after reading around SDN it looks like January/Febrauary is a much better time to apply.

I have two classes left in my DIY post-bac: orgo II (retake) and biochem (first time). I also need to take the MCAT. I work full-time, so I think it would be unrealistic to take two classes and study for the MCAT by January.

My tentative plan is to take biochem this fall while studying for the MCAT (since biochem seems more useful for test day), then take the MCAT in late December/early January. I've been studying for the MCAT for a few months now, so I won't be starting from scratch. If the score is good, then I’ll sign up for orgo in the spring while applying for SMPs.

My question is, will I be putting myself at a disadvantage while applying to SMPs if I haven’t finished orgo yet? I can (and will) call and ask if they'll accept it, but I'm wondering if the informal perception will be that I'm not ready for their program if I haven't even finished the pre-reqs by this point. If so, would it be better to take another year to take the MCAT and finish the two classes? I would really prefer not to take an extra year, but what must be done must be done.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Just me, but I like as much evidence as possible that you can handle my SMP, and would prefer people who don't have to come in looking at a two year cycle (ie, SMP-> finish all pre-reqs)

Members don't see this ad.

I was planning to be done with pre-reqs before starting the SMP. Since I'm aiming to start the SMP in late summer/fall of 2021, I would apply in January and have my last pre-req done by May or so. It just wouldn't be done by the time of application to the SMP in January. Would that be acceptable? Also, considering that online coursework is now being accepted, would your SMP (or others) look at online UNE coursework the same as coursework done through a school that is traditionally brick and mortar, but forced online due to COVID?
Finish everything...then do the SMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.