Am I Screwed? HELPP!! (New Zealand Medical School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorAlexander

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This will be a long one, thanks for anyone willing to spare their time into reading this post :)

Hi, I will turn 19 this year and I'm very interested in becoming a doctor.
I'm an (Chinese ethnicity) Indonesian citizen but I hold permanent residency for New Zealand, so I will still be considered a domestic student there.

The problem is.... I'm kinda late because I'm still studying for AS level (Y11) even though I'm almost 19 and I'm 1,5 year older than the rest of my classmate. I'm pretty smart but I haven't been serious about my study all these years and my average school score is mostly B sometimes C, I do get A for very easy subject like Business Studies. My parents knew that being a doctor is my lifelong dream, but they have been really concerned about my age. I have researched about NZ medical school, mostly Otago University and I have found that apparently the University doesn't necessarily require me to complete my A level (Y12), as long as I manage to get three Bs in my AS level then I'm good to enter HSFY. I was very happy about it, I thought I was finally able to save 1 year and catch up to my lost. However, after researching deeper and deeper, I have lost my confidence because:

1. I have been told that doctor should be getting As not Cs
2. HSFY is extremely competitive

My father wants me to enter HSFY using my AS level result and leave 1 year early. I, however have lost my confidence, I don't think I can pass HSFY by only using my AS level knowledge, the university I have has also told me (through e-mail) that they recommend their students to finish A level rather than entering using AS level only. I have trouble convincing my father about this, he constantly told me that HSFY is just a repetition on high school lesson and even if I fail my first year, i can just retake HSFY. Is this true??

In the other hand, I am more confident to just continue to finish my A level next year and be more serious about it. I'm planning to use the next one year to make up to my mistakes, my current average score is B maybe C. But if I study seriously, I'm confident I can turn from C student to A student by next year, yes I'm serious, I know because I am smart (Not trying to be arrogant).

So, I have two choices, please guide me:

1. Follow my father's plan and enter HSFY this year
pros: I can save 1 year, even if I fail I can retake HSFY
cons: I'm not confident, It felt really rushed, I would have to waste 6 months to re-study my AS level and take the November test this year in NZ (Because of diffrent school system between Indonesia and NZ)

2. Finish my A level in Indonesia and go for HSFY next year
pros: I'm confident, I can use this 1 year to really study hard and make up to my past mistakes
cons: I'm old, I will be 20 by the time I enter HSFY, I can't afford to fail HSFY and waste 1 more year, I will be 21 by the time I enter Medical School

I need your opinion about this. Anyone here has experienced HSFY or Otago Medical School? Any feedback, positive or negative will be appreciated :). So should I choose option 1 or 2? Can a person like me be a doctor one day?? Am I too late? Am I screwed? Thanks !!

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend you post this in a different forum, there aren't likely to be many people who can answer your question on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
My recommendation....do an undergrad and stream in as a graduate student...didn't read your post lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My recommendation....do an undergrad and stream in as a graduate student...didn't read your post lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then do everyone a favour and don't reply. He is applying to New Zealand as a high school student as that is the normal way to get into medical school. He is a high school student and domestic by NZ standards.

Reactions: 1 users
Nevermind, I've already found a forum that specializes on NZ medical school and have received many repky and feedback there :D thanks everyone