1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by wldhokie, Apr 28, 2004.

1. wldhokie

wldhokie Member
    7+ Year Member

So I've run into a bit of a problem.. Apparently my school's pre med committee requires you to submit all of your LOR's and PS in February and do this interview thing in order to get a composite letter from the committee. Due to a change in premed advisors I was not aware of this and now my new premed advisor is saying he can't help me get any type of letter from him. Several of the schools I'm applying to require composite letters if your school has a premed committee. Am I totally screwed for this year's application process or is there some way around it? Thanks for any advice, I'm freaking out :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

Ask again - politely.

If that doesn't work, do see the dean, politely.

If that doesn't work, have your parents start calling.

Pressure applied by the right people in the right place can definitely help!

4. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Talk to him again and ask him what you should do and what you could have done to prevent this from happening. It is not your fault that you changed pre-advisors. They should have contacted all the pre-meds to let them know how they handle things. Good luck.

5. nascentdoc

nascentdoc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I believe that most schools will allow you to send letters from individual faculty as opposed to the pre-med com. However, they will probably require you to write a letter and explain why did you take this route. I know this because back when I applied we had a couple of very weak students who did not go through the pre-med com. and attributed this to discrimination fears. Obviously, that's not your case and med. schools might actually understand. You never know. Good luck.
    nascent

6. no-see-um

no-see-um Bindaas
    5+ Year Member

That's messed up. You're paying tuition. These people should be working for you! Bug them. Try and track down your old pre-med advisor. See what could be done. Give this new guy your cover-letter and resume. If he doesn't want to write something for you, change advisors!!! Call the Dean, schedule an appointment. Maybe you have a head of undergraduate research or someone else who can write a recommendation for you. ATTACK!

7. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

But do it diplomatically

8. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

yes, you are screwed. haha j/k, just cause a scene.