Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopath

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year DO student who is VERY sure that I want to do path...
here is my question...
Do I stand a chance of getting into a residency being a DO?
As of late I've begun to get pretty worried about getting a spot somewhere, it's not a field that many osteopaths delve into. A lot of the programs I'll be applying to are kind of prestigious, as I really want to stay in the southeast. My grades are pretty good, boards okay. Oh, and I didn't take USMLE step 1 but I am considering taking USMLE step 2 just for something to go by. Anyway, some honest advice would be appreciated. I think I've decided if I don't get into a program I'm going to fake my death to get rid of my debt and live in a cave deep in a forest. Just kidding. Please help!!!
:scared: :scared: :barf:

Members don't see this ad.

I may be mistaken (and probably am), but I thought that allopathic residencies required the USMLE (as opposed to the COMLEX)?

UCSFbound said:
I may be mistaken (and probably am), but I thought that allopathic residencies required the USMLE (as opposed to the COMLEX)?
You're not mistaken. I don't think path residencies substitute COMLEX for USMLE Step 1. In fact, you have to complete Step 1 and Step 2 before starting residency. Just taking Step 2 will not negate the fact that you didn't take Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:
You're not mistaken. I don't think path residencies substitute COMLEX for USMLE Step 1. In fact, you have to complete Step 1 and Step 2 before starting residency. Just taking Step 2 will not negate the fact that you didn't take Step 1.

I have spent the last week in the Neonatal ICU learning all the physiology of these "mini" adults. Needless to say, my confidence has been shot to **** by the neonatology attendings, usually forcing me to preface any statement with "I may be mistaken" or " If I remember correctly". This has been the only rotation where I feel like I have no f-in idea whats going on.

UCSFbound said:

In general, it is not "required". However, it is generally in your best interest to take the USMLE Step 1 as it allows PD's to give a more direct comparison of you against your MD counterparts. As far as Step 2, I have been debating this. Since I did well on USMLE Step 1, I am leaning towards not taking Step 2 since most programs don't really care about it just as long as you pass and are eligible for licensure (which you can accomplish with COMLEX as well.)
Some programs, MUSC comes to mind, even list USMLE OR COMLEX as a requirement.

http://www.musc.edu/pathology/resident2005/index.htm

AndyMilonakis said:

Absolutely untrue. Pathology residencies routinely substitute complex for usmle. Frankly, their main concern is that you pass step 3, whether its usmle or complex (for funding reasons). Pathology is not so competitive as to thumb their noses at anybody, believe me.
I am a DO. I completed AP/CP residency and cyto fellowship. I never took the usmle and nobody ever even asked about it. It was a complete non-issue.
To the OP, don't even worry about matching in path. I wouldn't take the usmle if you don't want to.
Don't be intimidated.

pathdawg said:
Absolutely untrue. Pathology residencies routinely substitute complex for usmle. Frankly, their main concern is that you pass step 3, whether its usmle or complex (for funding reasons). Pathology is not so competitive as to thumb their noses at anybody, believe me.
I am a DO. I completed AP/CP residency and cyto fellowship. I never took the usmle and nobody ever even asked about it. It was a complete non-issue.
To the OP, don't even worry about matching in path. I wouldn't take the usmle if you don't want to.
Don't be intimidated.
Guess I was mistaken. The program websites I remember looking at didn't mention anything about COMLEX and mentioned that they needed USMLE scores. I do agree 100% that pathology hasn't achieved the competitiveness to "thumb their noses" and become too picky.

You stated that you already completed residency and fellowship. Is it possible that back when you applied for residency, they didn't care whether one took COMLEX vs USMLE but nowadays the residency programs require USMLE exam scores? I'm not saying that you're outta touch with things but again, I seemed to read on a lot of program websites about the necessity of having USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores. But as COMLEX was something that doesn't apply to me, perhaps I glossed over that information.

Assuming I was mistaken in the original post, I sincerely apologize to the OP.

In addition, I would double-check with the programs you're interested in...just in case. That way, there will be no surprises or snags when programs look at your application.

Also, I forget what the ERAS/ADTS system looked like, but check to make sure that it is easy to send your COMLEX transcript to your programs of interest.

Agreed -all it takes is one phone call or email to the program you are interested in - and ask "Do you accept COMLEX in place of USMLE?" It's pretty easy. It actually takes far less time than logging on here, posting the question, and waiting for a response. Programs aren't going to hide this from you!

I just wanted to add some additional info regarding the DO in pathology. I am a DO and will be entering my first year in an allopathic residency. I can say honestly that the marketplace changed dramatically in the past year for pathology residencies. Programs have become more selective because there are more top applicants and having the USMLE is a major factor. Most programs did ask for them, regardless of the score as long as you passed. Some programs were even confused about the interpreting the COMLEX, so it was good having the USMLE as a backup.

As a DO, the most important thing to have are letters from allopathic programs, especially if you want an allopathic residency. This shows you completed electives in different path programs and you are interested in the field. I had great letters, great grades, decent board scores, and it still proved to be a bit of a challenge for some programs. Some people will simply never get over the DO thing so you just have to forget about these programs. I would really talk to some other DO applicants especially from this last year because I found that the information I got from previous applicants from years before was slightly outdated. Every year is different, but don't go into in thinking that the specialty is easy to match because I know several DO's who did not match this last year for whatever reason.

Also, I am not sure you can take the USMLE Step 2 without having taken Step 1. I would look into this, but besides nobody cares about Step 2 as much as Step 1.

I hope this helps.

Regarding the original question: why don't you ask the Path Guy Dr. Ed Friedlander? In Kansas, I think. www.pathguy.com
Totally awesome website, very helpful pathologist. I'm sure he'd tell you quite frankly what you need to do.
Lisa PA-C

deschutes said:
You can take Step 2 before Step 1. You just need both Steps 1 & 2 completed in whatever order before you can take Step 3 I think.