Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I know everyone is stressing about the MCAT etc. but I am always hearing people saying how they have been studying for like 4-5 months already, including over christmas. I am taking a Princeton Review course, and taking the MCAT in May. I figured I would have plenty of time over the semester with the course and all to study, but apparently everyone else has started waay before me. I just started studying like 2-3 weeks ago, and now im starting to worry...

I'm taking 12 hours of classes, but with tests coming up in them, i have barely studied the past 2-3 days. I got to write a research proposal also by the end of the month which will take a lot of research. I'm also pretty busy with a lot of other things. Just want to know if anyone out there is in the same boat, or am I the only one who hasnt started studying like a year prior to the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, I know everyone is stressing about the MCAT etc. but I am always hearing people saying how they have been studying for like 4-5 months already, including over christmas. I am taking a Princeton Review course, and taking the MCAT in May. I figured I would have plenty of time over the semester with the course and all to study, but apparently everyone else has started waay before me. I just started studying like 2-3 weeks ago, and now im starting to worry...

I'm taking 12 hours of classes, but with tests coming up in them, i have barely studied the past 2-3 days. I got to write a research proposal also by the end of the month which will take a lot of research. I'm also pretty busy with a lot of other things. Just want to know if anyone out there is in the same boat, or am I the only one who hasnt started studying like a year prior to the exam.

I am not in the same boat because I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do well enough in May. Instead I am going to do EK's from March-June and have decided to take the KAPLAN course this summer, devoting a full 2 months to just MCAT prep, then take it in August.

I think either way we both are kinda screwed...On the one hand you might be sacrificing a few points by trying to study while taking classes, but at least you can apply early. In my case, perhaps I will have a shot at a higher score, but at what cost? I can't be complete until September.

I guess what I'm saying is that nobody has a perfect situation. I think it is ambitious of you to take on studying for the MCAT while in school. Just try to manage your time as well as you can. Good luck!

I totally hear ya!! You voiced my sentiments! I'm taking 12 credits as well. Didn't think that it would interfere with mcat studying, but i was definitely wrong. I'm taking this kaplan class now...been in it for bout a month and I was doing fine with all the work until I had 2 other exams that i had to study for...as a result, i'm now about 3 and a half classes behind...in regards to homework and such. such a paaaain. i also have to submit a research proposal which is again...taking away valuable study time for the mcat. it's ridiculous! i don't know how people can juggle classes, clubs, research, mcat studying, etc! You know i've heard of a few people who actually take a whole year off just to study the mcat! it's all a bit overwhelming and it's starting to worry me too. just hoping for the best now...aaaargh

I took a wintermester course and now I only have to take 9 hours. I am getting into rhythem bearly, and when test come up, yeah I get behind. I hear some people study for years. I am only going to do it for 4 months. Supoosedly thats how most peeps do it. I dont have weekends to myself no more, for I just do my Princeton review HW>

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking 15 hours, plus a part time job (which will mostly take up Friday night and Saturday) and volunteering for 4+ hours a week. I loosely started studying in November, but didn't really get on it until January, when I just flew through all the EK lectures. Now I'm going through them again, will be getting the 101 and a couple 1001 books, and taking lots and lots of tests.

On the bright side, O Chem, Genetics, and Physiology will be fresh in my head when I take the exam, since I've decided to kill myself and take the MCAT finals week.

YEAH! I go to a military academy, have 19 hours, research, and I'm taking it in april! I don't think stressed is the word, but I just got to push and hope for the best. Good luck to all those who are not able to ease their semster for the MCAT!

As the test date approaches you will probably end up neglecting your classes more and focusing more on the MCAT. Try to cut down on ECs if you can. Right now I am trying to just set aside one hour a day, even during exam week, where I just go over MCAT material, or do a verbal passage, et al. You don't need to study for two years, what is most important is taking as many timed practice tests as you possibly can. First you must have the material down, but practice tests are key. Last spring two of my close friends took the MCAT. One took Kaplan, did not study material a lot, but took 5 practice exams. His score went from a 16 on the diagnostic to a 29. My other friend studied by himself with EK, studied up to 6 hours a day sometimes, and only took two practice exams. Even though he worked really hard learning the material, he didn't do well because he didn't take enough practice exams. Also, if you are taking a science class that covers MCAT material, when you study for that class you are studying for the MCAT. Good luck!

I'd recommend practice tests as well. I studied going through the review books and taking some of the short practice tests. I'd take the long ones. Don't overstudy though and don't stress if you can't get to it.

Sometimes I wasn't able to study for a week or more, and I didn't start until December (and I took it in April) because of schoolwork.

If you do poorly in school or can't relieve stress by doing extracurriculars then you'll get stressed on the MCAT.