Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainScience

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the detail.....

I am very stressed out right now. I have not submitted my AMCAS yet and the deadline is fast approaching. My personal statement is holding me because I want to make sure that its perfect. But I also have to retake my MCAT on the 11th because I did poorly last time. But here's where the problem starts.... All the spots for the 11th are taken!! So basically I have not way of taking the MCAT and is left with a super bad score. Should I just not submit my application and do a masters or just gain more experience during the gap year and apply again with a strong app?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the detail.....

I am very stressed out right now. I have not submitted my AMCAS yet and the deadline is fast approaching. My personal statement is holding me because I want to make sure that its perfect. But I also have to retake my MCAT on the 11th because I did poorly last time. But here's where the problem starts.... All the spots for the 11th are taken!! So basically I have not way of taking the MCAT and is left with a super bad score. Should I just not submit my application and do a masters or just gain more experience during the gap year and apply again with a strong app?

So...you have a bad score on your MCAT or was that left untaken?

I read one time that you can "trade" with someone as long as you both show up. Ask around, if you're serious maybe offer a bit of a financial incentive.

Edit: trade test dates!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't it a policy of schools to not accept the MCAT taken after a certain date? I remember that date is somewhere in September.

Here's the detail.....

If your score is not good enough to apply, then you'll want to wait until next year. A masters + volunteering is a good idea. Maybe try retaking the MCAT in January so you have plenty of time to retake if you ever need to again.
Good luck!

At first I thought you meant trade MCAT scores and I was like :eek::uhno:

But I get it now :)

Hahaha oh wow I didn't catch that one, but I definitely see how it could be read that way! Haha yes, I think a quick edit is in order. :)

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant my score was too bad for my to even apply to medical school with confidence. I just think that ti would be a waste of money for me to pay and submit my app.

I heard from others that doing a masters and then applying for medical school would be a waste. But I honestly think that if I were to do a masters, it would allow me to gain more experience and also keep me fresh and up to date with my sciences. Because if I were to wait a whole another year without doing anything school relate, I would definitely forget everything I've learned.

Is it? Im not entirely sure.

Take a look at the MSAR, most schools have a latest date MCAT at Sept. 11 to Sept. 30. Some allow dates past that, but you're pushing your luck since you will be limited in which schools to apply to.

I know seats randomly open up as the test date approaches, you should check regularly if you are interested in retaking.

I don't really know anything about Master's programs, but whens the latest you are allowed to enroll? Seems like you would have to decide very soon whether or not you want to apply this cycle.

I read one time that you can "trade" with someone as long as you both show up. Ask around, if you're serious maybe offer a bit of a financial incentive.

With enough money, someone might even be willing to trade test scores with you. If you are rich, consider this option. Smart people sometimes take the MCAT 3-4 times just so they can sell their score to someone. You can really start to pay off medical school if you get 35s and above more than 3 times!

Good way to make a buck.

Best,
C

Consider taking the MCAT at a different location.

Consider that you're "going crazy" because you're trying to do too much too fast and none of your attempts look stellar. With that in mind, I think you're a good candidate to apply next year. You'll be more prepared, you could take the MCAT when and where you're most comfortable, and you will have polished up your PS so you like it.

The challenge is to find something "worthwhile" now. For that, call your Career Center. Speak to professors, who may need your help as a TA. Volunteer at your local hospital. Or travel.

Just remember that if you're late and dealing with a low MCAT score, your likelihood of an acceptance gets lower. Wouldn't you rather prefer to apply only once?