Am I slacking in extracurriculars and activties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Caterpillar

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I know that I should not do activities just because I think I should in order to get into vet school but I have a question... does it seem like I'm slacking on the whole extracurricular thing? I'm a member of a co-ed service fraternity (which takes up a lot of my time because we do a lot of volunteer work. I plan to try to get a leadership position in it), and my school's pre-vet club. Part of me wants to do more, but I feel really busy already... I'm also a resident assistant (This feels like a 24/7 job right now. Ugh.), I have a part-time job cleaning up a lab (5-10 hours per week), and I do research for credit 5-10 hours per week. Should I try to branch out with my extracurriculars or take it easy because I have other things taking up my time?
 
Hi! I know that I should not do activities just because I think I should in order to get into vet school but I have a question... does it seem like I'm slacking on the whole extracurricular thing? I'm a member of a co-ed service fraternity (which takes up a lot of my time because we do a lot of volunteer work. I plan to try to get a leadership position in it), and my school's pre-vet club. Part of me wants to do more, but I feel really busy already... I'm also a resident assistant (This feels like a 24/7 job right now. Ugh.), I have a part-time job cleaning up a lab (5-10 hours per week), and I do research for credit 5-10 hours per week. Should I try to branch out with my extracurriculars or take it easy because I have other things taking up my time?

That sounds like a pretty full load.

The only thing I'd consider long-term is how much veterinary experience you have. If you have worked as a tech/assistant/whatever, or shadowed for a thousand hours, or all your research experience counts as veterinary (I don't have a clue how they separate out hours anymore on the application) ... you're probably fine. But if you don't have a lot of veterinary experience, keep in mind you're going to want at least 400-500 hours on the low end, and plan accordingly.

Being active in the community is huge - I think a lot of people don't appreciate how good it looks on an application - but in the end veterinary experience is the more important of the two.