Am I slowly drifting further away from healthcare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1023831

So I majored in computer stuff as a premed.

Was rejected from med schools so applied for tech jobs. Now I have several job offers. One is from a certain Madison-based EHR company with a monopoly on patient data. The other is a cybersecurity job at the Department of Defense (fight club rules prevent further discussion beyond basic info). The cybersecurity one is super cool, but it feels like I am leaving medicine completely if I’m not in something even remotely adjacent to healthcare. And idk how relevant a cybersecurity job would be on my AMCAS application should I choose to reapply. But more importantly, I’m just really confused on what to do.

On top of that, my school has a 5th year masters program in CS where current undergrads can apply internally for the Masters in CS program. And this program only takes a year. So I applied for that and decisions should be coming out soon.

In addition, I’ve also applied to several generic FAANG/tech jobs and am in the final interview rounds. I’ve passed the technical interviews and am onto the behavioral interview. I would make a really good salary (~200k including stocks straight out of undergrad) and would get to stay on the West Coast, where I want to ideally stay. Technically my parents are in the Midwest but want to move back to India when they retire in a few years. So I have no ties except to the West Coast where I went to college.

On top of that I am really passionate about urban design and sustainable planning and land use. I want to design landscapes that are eco friendly and good for human health, i.e. more pedestrian and bicyclist friendly. I remember that for my Harvard undergrad interview, I went on a 5 minute rant about environmental planning and effects on human health when the interviewer simply asked why I was premed. And I was waitlisted at MIT for undergrad to study environmental/civil engineering and still have a passion. So I interviewed for a data analyst job at a planning company and they really liked my tech background.

On top of all this, I loved the BioE classes I took at my undergrad and did 3 years of research at UCSF and Stanford in medical imaging and econometrics. I love the idea of working on designing ML and low cost medical imaging for developing nations. Which is why some of my applications for med schools were actually MD/PhD programs last cycle.

I just don’t know how decide. I’ve got options, and I’m talented in all these these fields. I did well on the MCAT and have done well in tech. I can’t eliminate anything based off skill. If I take the cybersecurity job, then it just feels like I’m moving away slowly from med. Same with tech industry. I just don’t know what I’m doing and am really confused.

I literally just studied CS/engineering to have a good backup plan. But now, I genuinely like it as a career.

There are a thousand different things I want to accomplish in this life to make the world a better place. I can’t decide on one.

TL;DR: Too many career paths, i.e. the Paris Geller dilemma. Hate the feeling of uncertainty without a direction. Always had a goal, a path in life. But now? Idk.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with what you think you will enjoy most. That’s what matters in the long run.

Do keep in mind that $200k in California is more like $100k in most other areas, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Go with what you think you will enjoy most. That’s what matters in the long run.

Do keep in mind that $200k in California is more like $100k in most other areas, though.
I think the problem is that I like doing everything though. There are a thousand different things I wanna accomplish in this life and I don’t have time for all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the problem is that I like doing everything though. There are a thousand different things I wanna accomplish in this life and I don’t have time for all.
If you think you would enjoy CS as much as medicine, I would choose CS. It’s an easier route, and the financial differences in the long run likely won’t be significant if you work for FAANG, unless you were planning on something like neurosurgery.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you need to take some time and figure out what you want in life and which career will satisfy that.

Don't be afraid of taking some time away from school and exploring other careers and doing things you want for awhile. I'm on my 3rd (and final) gap year and it has honestly been a great experience. I work in the pharma industry doing research so not really medical and it has been really nice, but I also realized this isn't the long term field for me and actually has pushed me back towards medicine. Moral of the story is don't rush yourself.

Also, I'm from Madison and know lots of people who used to work for EPIC. Madison is an amazing city but EPIC has a weird corporate culture and will make you work a ton of hours (but you do get paid well). Most people quit after ~2years from burnout. Just so you have a heads up. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.