am i special?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCat

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok well I had a rotation that was pass/fail, with no option of honors. Dont ask why, I am not sure why they set that up that way. But anyway i finished the rotation and a few weeks later recieved a letter from the chair of the program that basically said that he wanted to personally let me know that I did exceptionally well and although there is no honors grade available, he will make my dean well aware of my superb performance. etc etc. Then at the end he said to please come to him for a LOR as he would be happy to write a very strong letter.
Now I am wondering if this is just BS and he sent something like that to all the students to boost their esteem, or how often do directors actually tell the student they want to write a LOR for them? I am just plain curious if this is common or a positive thing. It was my first rotation so I am just looking for a way to be for the remainder of the rotations... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. you're special. wanna cookie?

Chalk it up to sexual harrassment and move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all of your rotations just pass/fail?

no you're not special - in fact, you completely suck.

I can literally feel the love in his thread :p

Hmm... Why am I suddenly reminded of Tyler Durden? :confused: Something about snowflakes?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

dude, I didnt mean it literally, it was obviously sarcastic. The only question was since we do not have Honors in clinicals, is a letter like this really worth anything to me-meaning does everyone get something like this from directors often or does it mean the guy actually would write a strong letter. He is in the field I want and possibly heads the program I am interested in so I was curiuos. If he sends letters liek this often or to everyone than obvoiusly it is meaningless-just trying to guage since I dont have the option of seeing an honors grade since we do not have them. gee chill out i think i suck too, i just wnat to scrape my way into a residency-i am subpar trust me.

TheCat said:
dude, I didnt mean it literally, it was obviously sarcastic. The only question was since we do not have Honors in clinicals, is a letter like this really worth anything to me-meaning does everyone get something like this from directors often or does it mean the guy actually would write a strong letter. He is in the field I want and possibly heads the program I am interested in so I was curiuos. If he sends letters liek this often or to everyone than obvoiusly it is meaningless-just trying to guage since I dont have the option of seeing an honors grade since we do not have them. gee chill out i think i suck too, i just wnat to scrape my way into a residency-i am subpar trust me.

Don't take offense to the responses, it just seemed like you were fishing. I can't say for sure, but it doesn't sound like a letter that would be sent out to everyone - particularly that it said you did "exceptionally" well and that he even said he would like you to come to him for a LOR. Sounds genuine, congrats.

TheCat said:

Does it make me sound sarcastic if I suggest that maybe, possibly there could be a chance that you might get a better answer to your question by flat out asking this guy if he'd write you a nice letter? I mean, yeah, I could use my remote viewing powers to read this guy's mind, but I'd rather use my special powers to find a store that's selling Xbox 360s.

TheCat said:
Ok well I had a rotation that was pass/fail, with no option of honors. Dont ask why, I am not sure why they set that up that way. But anyway i finished the rotation and a few weeks later recieved a letter from the chair of the program that basically said that he wanted to personally let me know that I did exceptionally well and although there is no honors grade available, he will make my dean well aware of my superb performance. etc etc. Then at the end he said to please come to him for a LOR as he would be happy to write a very strong letter.
Now I am wondering if this is just BS and he sent something like that to all the students to boost their esteem, or how often do directors actually tell the student they want to write a LOR for them? I am just plain curious if this is common or a positive thing. It was my first rotation so I am just looking for a way to be for the remainder of the rotations... thanks

Ask the other people in your rotation if they got the letter too. I suspect that they didn't, but that would be the fastest way to find out. If he says he will write you a strong LOR, you probably want to take him up on it once you figure out what you're applying for. I know some people who got offers of LORs at the end of their rotations and most who didn't. If you don't get any more offers, it doesn't mean people won't write a good letter, BTW. Sounds like you rocked this rotation though, congratulations.

totally understandable that i probably sounded like a tool-i did think of asking others who did the rotation but that is even more toolish-i think i would sound like a complete jackass mentioning that, especially if they didnt get it. Anyway i was just concerned since it is my speciality of choice and director of the program i want so of course i was excited and wanted to get input-thanks, no intention of being toolish-thanks for the input, much appreciated

TheCat said:
:barf:

TheCat said:

OK, see I just out last night with my friends, when this really gorgeous guy comes up to me and says "wow you have like the most amazing body I've ever seen in my life. And you can dance too.", and said that he worked for Columbia and they were hiring people for this new movie and needed dancers. I gave him my number and he called later and said that although as a dancer I'd only make $ 200,000 for the whole thing there might be another project later. So now I'm wondering if this is just BS because I know for a fact that my ass is kind of fat and my boobs aren't very big, even though people literally stare at me drooling all the time. What do you think, is my butt fat? I'm just plain curious if this is a common or even positive thing. I mean, does this happen to everyone at these places? This was my first time at that club so I'm just looking for a way to act at other clubs for the remainder of the summer.... thanks.

fang said:
OK, see I just out last night with my friends, when this really gorgeous guy comes up to me and says "wow you have like the most amazing body I've ever seen in my life. And you can dance too.", and said that he worked for Columbia and they were hiring people for this new movie and needed dancers. I gave him my number and he called later and said that although as a dancer I'd only make $ 200,000 for the whole thing there might be another project later. So now I'm wondering if this is just BS because I know for a fact that my ass is kind of fat and my boobs aren't very big, even though people literally stare at me drooling all the time. What do you think, is my butt fat? I'm just plain curious if this is a common or even positive thing. I mean, does this happen to everyone at these places? This was my first time at that club so I'm just looking for a way to act at other clubs for the remainder of the summer.... thanks.

funny stuff. Had me laughing my a$$ off.

fang, good post.

To the OP, even though this thread is dead: You've got to be kidding. Do you really think attendings have nothing better to do than personally write to every single student? When an attending says that you are outstanding and is willing to write a "very strong letter" for you, s/he means it! I think sometimes we forget that med school does have a few things in common with the real world - people don't spontaneously tell you how awesome you are and offer to help you with your career if they don't mean it.