Am I the only one feeling this way?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yangxx2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've been feeling so stressed out from school. Taking 20 credits was definitely not a good idea, especially with such heavy classes (orgo, molec/cell bio, calc, middle eastern studies, writing course)

I know it's my fault, and next time I won't pick all hard classes.

But at this point, I'm so over this semester, and I feel like giving up. I'm not going to, but I just don't have the motivation from freshman year anymore (soph this year). And it sucks, because medical school is still my goal. I'm not failing or anything, but I just don't feel like doing work anymore. :sleep:

Is it just me, or are you guys going through this end-of-the-semester slump/have already gone through this?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just me, or are you guys going through this end-of-the-semester slump/have already gone through this?

it's called early senioritis. it happens.

if you want to go to med school, you gotta get it done.

I think the vast majority of us go through this regularly. Life is a roller coaster in so many things. The important thing is to realize that you have made it this far and that you can finish. You are so close! Do not give up now. Once finals are over, you are going to feel so incredibly happy with your performance and I think you will be happy that you did it. Again, you are SO close. Finish up! You can do it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lately, I've been feeling so stressed out

Yeah, me too. Combine a busy semester (17 credit hours), 36 hrs/week of work, and stress from the application process in general and you have a massive stress storm.

Everyone loses steam.

Suck it up. Don't screw yourself over by slowing down, you'll regret it if you do.

Finish strong. FINISH STRONG.

This is what I tell myself everytime I feel like being a panzy. So OP stop being a panzy, you panzy.

My stress is gone, but I do feel overcaffinated and unmotivated/lazy. Semester's almost over though.

Good luck on finals everyone!

THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PRACTICE...

...THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE.

Always remember that!

THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PRACTICE...

...THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE.

Always remember that!

Reminds me of:

"Pain is just weakness leaving the body."

def don't worry, that's really common. I was taking a large load my freshmen year but only did the min amount of credits by second semester of sophmore year (was doing more EC's) but def was buzzed out from school. But IMO once you hit junior year you'll get the inspirational spike to start working again (with applications and MCATs just around the corner).

At least that's basically what my college years were like

Yeah I'm a junior and I'm still awake here slaving away at a project.

The only thing fueling me right now is diet coke and the song "You're the Best" by Joe Esposito from the soundtrack to the popular movie Karate Kid.

Last edited:
But at this point, I'm so over this semester, and I feel like giving up. I'm not going to, but I just don't have the motivation from freshman year anymore (soph this year).

wait until you are a senior.....

i feel the same way rite now. got mad tests and just back from thanksgiving break where i didn't do anything.. wasn't long enough and my motivation is hovering around maybe 5% of the 100% i started out with at the beg of the semester. it sucks too bc im pulling As in everything and its idiotic of me to slow down .. but im drained idk what else to do lol and then i gota study for this damn mcat in december/january ... it almost makes me think .. is it worth it? i think so, but still

Thanks for the encouragement guys :)
I'm glad you guys are telling me to suck it up, because you're right; it only gets harder from here

and cyclin M, I love that quote! :p

Ya I feel your pain, but this is nothing compared to what you are gonna encounter in the med school, residency, and beyond.

Just remember: "What lies before you and what lies behind you are tiny matters compared to what lies within you."

Examine why are you studying. I am guessing you are a pre-med as you are on SDN. Reevaluate what is important to you and strive for it. I am certain that this will give you new vigor. :xf:

As a researcher, I often get stuck, and I always try to keep my eye on the final goal...it has certainly helped me to stay motivated through this process.