Am i the only one who did not apply yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Su4n2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
took the Aug MCAt, thought i did bad, i filled out AMCAS but didn't send it in because i really think igot like a 24. i never broke a 28 on practice AAMC's and i jusyt couldn't spend the money and have it go to waste. next week, i will start on 2ndary questions that i will get from my friends. i am not a stellar candidate and i know from SDN that it's a bad idea, but that's just the way ithas worked out. anyone in the same boat?
susan

Members don't see this ad.

i haven't sent mine, either.

i am taking some classes, so they will have to wait to see my december gpa anyway. and those med. schools know, they are waiting for the aug. mcat scores anyway.

and if you apply do schools, sit down and relax, i have got one email from one school that told me that i can apply their school as late as january.

Su4n2, Will you be finding out your score on-line in the next couple weeks? Because, while there are lots of apps that haven't been submitted yet, you do want to submit ASAP. If you got a 27 or 28, you'll have some chances, depending on the overall strength of your app, and where all you're applying. If it's more like a 24, then unless you're URM or have a state school with pretty low average scores, then you really shouldn't apply this year. If you really think your app is not strong (even with a 27 or 28 MCAT), perhaps you should wait to apply anyway and do some things to improve it.

youngjock, It's not a good idea to wait until the deadlines to apply. You'll be interviewing (if at all) for spots on the waitlist. You want your app all ready to go to review the minute those August scores get into your file (last year that was around the end of October). That puts you at disadvantage enough without waiting for Dec. or Jan to apply!

Members don't see this ad :)
late birds get no worms

SMW, wow you are at 3000 post, you go girl. Before you go to med school you might have DoctoraFoxy's crown for the most posts ever.:laugh:

Unless you've been through it before, you never know what kind of madness may delay your application and cause you to miss a deadline. Transcripts can be delayed, your computer might break down. Somebody could put anthrax in the mail and mess up the USPS (that's what happened to me last year.)

Another problem is, the busy time for med schools is the second half of the cycle. When applications start pouring in, the admissions committee has to go through them even more quickly. You might have some good qualities to make up for your numbers, but when the guy reading your application is in a rush, he'll probably see the numbers, miss the good stuff, and set your application aside.

I'm not writing this as a discouragement. I'm just saying, make a decision, and then do what you got to do. Don't go into it half-decided. A friend of mine had a 2.75 cum GPA when she applied. The pre-med committee probably looked at her cross-eyed when she still insisted on applying. She got in on her first try, and now nobody cares about her numbers.

I hope that was coherent. Good luck guys, I'm cheering for you.

Originally posted by Raptor
SMW, wow you are at 3000 post, you go girl. Before you go to med school you might have DoctoraFoxy's crown for the most posts ever.:laugh:

Well, Dra. Foxy joined after me, and quickly surpassed me!! I think she's at over 5000 by now. But she's now an MS1 and doesn't have time to post so much anymore, whereas I deferred for a year, so I may catch up to her yet!! :D

to the OPs, Nickel is right, expect the unexpected to delay your apps. Make them as perfect as possible and get them in as soon as possible. Good luck to you both!! :)

hey are you applying to do schools?
or to podiatric schools?

are you prepared not to get into med school? b/c let's say you get a 24 on the mcat-- what are you going to do?

I was told by Ma! that I sell myself too short. and I see you doing the same thing! Don't assume the worst, just be ready for it and hope for the best.

My advice to you is to send in the transcripts, and also file your AMCAS. Why? because through it you gain a few weeks. Put perhaps 3 or 4 schools on your AMCAS so you don't end up wasting too much money if you do need a refund. Worse comes to worse, you will lose a few hundred bucks (instead of thousands if you applied to like 25 at the same time).

See, if you submit, you also stand a chacne to be verified sooner ...etcetc etc...the whole ball gets rolling for you as soon as you push submit. Contact Lady Bug if you need more info on cancelling AMCAS. I had once forwarded her a thread that previously discussed because she was facing the same issue herself. Ask her to send you that bookmarked thread because I don't have it with me anymore. I know for a fact that you get partial refund if you pull out your AMCAS BEFORE you get verified.

Good luck and keep us updated!!!

Personally, I think it's ok to apply late, especially if you're only shooting for one or two med schools, like state schools.

I would recommend looking in the MSAR at the deadlines for the schools you really want to go to; I think some schools may have october deadlines.

Good luck!! Remember, if you decide not to apply this year, I think you should be really ready to hit the floor running next year. Secondary essays take more time than you'd think!

;)

I feel like I had written that first post; I am all done with my courses too and just took the August MCAT. I wanted to shoot everything out this summer or Sept/Oct but the truth is I was so brain-fried from the summer studying for this test which I don't feel confident I did too well on, and I have also run completely out of money.

I decided to rest my brain, earn some money, and wait until next year and then push that submit button with everything done and perfect to go. I don't want to be any older than I have to be but reality is what it is so I will just work and volunteer some more this year and prepare for April MCAT again :( and as strong and as well thought out an application as I can present. I'd like to only have to do this whole thing once if possible.

I agree it's ok to apply late to a few selected schools; people get accepted at any time. Adcoms are people too, and I think they definitely understand what we're all going through.

Nickel,
Which school did your friend get into?

if you feel that you are going to apply late...i'd go for applying in the next cycle. that way you'll have everything ready to go extra early! earlier the better i say. i was able to get early interviews after submitting early last year. i was accepted before november (i was not an EDP)

If you do decide to apply this year, get your LORs NOW! Outside of AMCAS delays, this can delay you the most. As I have mentioed earlier, I requested my in July to people that I thought were responsible, and the the last one just got in today.

hi everyone, thanx for your replies. i have my LOR's ready to go ecxept one that is still being workwed on. let me ask you, can i apply to 4 schools now and then add more schools when i get my score? how does that work?
i am still hoping not to have to retake, but if i have to i will. can't wait to check my scores online so that the nightmares stop.

I say hold off on applying til next year.

Whats with the rush? I guarantee your application will be better if you wait a year. By the time you send your AMCAS out and have it verified it will take some time. Then you have to get your secondaries in(not an easy task). Then you have to get your letters of rec in. Factor in the numerous delays you may encounter(ie mail getting lost, AMCAS losing stuff, sending transcripts that mysteriously never get to AMCAS etc.).

But lets assume that everything is on time and your files are complete by early November. Judging from your practice MCAT tests your score will be around the 28 range. Furthermore, you seem a bit unsure of even getting that on the actual test. I think you would really benefit from waiting another year til applying. That way you will have more life experience, you will have the opportunity to retake the mcat and have the scores in on time (assuming u didn't do so awesome on the aug 02), and also you will be able to get your application(primary, secondaries, LORs in very very early in the process).

I am a reapplicant. Last year I sent my AMCAS the very first day I could certify it. AMCAS received my transcripts early July. My secondaries and LORs were received by schools by October. I interviewed at Vandy and Loma Linda. I did not get in anywhere after applying to 30 schools. my gpa was 3.8 and my MCAT was a 28. My undergrad is UCLA. The point? Well in retrospect I wished I hadn't been so set on rushing to apply. This time around I think my app will be stronger and my MCATs will be higher(and I'm still behind the ball since I retook in august and have to wait for those scores).

So my advice to you is if you are not sure about applying especially considering its getting pretty late to be sending in your AMCAS and considering you are not sure about your stats then wait a year. :) One year in your life will not hurt you and theres a lot of things you can do to improve your app. You don't wanna be like me and spend thousands for 30 schools not get in and spend thousands on 40 schools the second time around.

just my $0.02

Good luck on your decision. :)

I tend to agree with UCLAMAN. Strengthen your application for next year. Unless you are old like me there isn't any real hurry.

By the way, UCLAMAN I am sorry to hear about the rough time you had last year, but it certainly WAS NOT your GPA or MCAT that kept you from being accepted. I sure hope you have made the correct diaognosis, and strengthed your weak areas.

Best of luck to both of you!

cabruen

well i don't think it was my EC's since I was involved in several activities which I thought were worthwhile(and these were programs that I had been involved with for at least 2 years). I was also doing neurobiology research.

I remained involved in those activities last year while applying and have since taken up leadership positions within them. I have also recently had a paper published on my neurobiology research and was also awarded a big scholarship for it from UCLA.

So if it is anything having to do with my EC's then I think its been covered in the past year. I changed my AMCAS personal statement as well and I think it is much improved over my first one. My gpa didn't really change and so the only other thing I could have improved was my MCAT score.

UCLAMAN

Well that sounds like your ECs were very good indeed. With a 28 and 3.8 and applying to 30 schools, to get only 2 interviews is surprising. Even discounting the Cali and other top 10 schools. They must not have like something about your AMCAS personal statement or the essays in your secondaries. Were you waitlisted at LLUSM or Vandy, or outright rejected post-interview. It might also be an issue of how you project during the interview.

Anyway, I sincerely wish you the best. I hope we are both part of the Class of 2007.

I hope we all get in too. :)

Well Vandy wasn't a great interview. I don't like their system because you only get one interviewer. I don't think the PhD that interviewed me liked me very much.

I thought I did well at Loma Linda's interview. I think the problem there was that I didn't really have some sort of religious component to my application plus I wasn't SDA. Everyone I knew who got into LL was either SDA or had strong ties to their church that was reflected by either a LOR or some kind of activity.

I was more concerned about why I didn't receive more interviews. I was on hold for interview at Penn State, GW, UCI, and Wake Forest. Guess it just goes to show you how random the process is. :confused:

Ok...sorry to hijack this post. :D I'll stop.

UCLAMAN,
thanx for your advice. i have thought about this b-4. i have decided if scores are borderline to apply only to NY schools (this is where i would go cause hubby can't move due to also being in school) i will also apply to a DO scjhool. this way i will not spend thousands of dollars. i hear it about waiting a year but i am 24 and all my friends are in swecond year. i feel like i have wasted a lot of time. i know that it's not old, but i would like to get started. i can tell you it would be pretty painful taking the MCAT again, especially since i studied so hard but could not break a 28. good luck to you!

This has got to show just how random and unpredictable the process is for applying. UCLAMAN I'm bumming out about your experiences especially with all your research expereince and scores etc. A friend of mine with a huge Bio background and several years of research expereince ended up not doing well on the MCAT and not getting in anywhere and going to a Carribean school. Who can predict this?

When I was studying for the MCAT this summer I was convinced you just needed to be a physics/Biochem major (which I was not) to ace the test since I struggled so hard with basic knowledge questions. But Bio people tell me this is not true, it's reasoning test and hard for everyone.

I have heard that second time applicants who have made thoughtful changes in their applications stand a good chance of acceptance, and it sounds like you have done that. Good luck man! ;)